1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Video Card to connect PC to HDTV

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by snoogans, Apr 11, 2005.

1. snoogans

snoogans Member

I'm looking for a video card to connect my HTPC to my TV with out any external boxes or software. I have an ATI all-in-wonder (32 bit) and it only outputs at 800x600 to my 53" widescreen. If I up the resolution on the PC I have to scroll around on my set to see different parts of the screen. Is there a good card that has componet outputs that might work for me? Is is it my TV thats hurting me? I have it set to 1080i.

2. bajtra

bajtra Member

The nvidia cards are really good for htpc's. The 6600gt is a good one but even the FX5200 will work. For 1080i resolution you'll want to get a card with dvi or hdmi output. If you're using the s video cable you're only going to get 800x600 resolution but output to 600x480 resolution. That's why you're only seeing part of the screen at a time in higher resolutions, and also why it's blurry. W/ dvi and your hidef tv you can get 1900x1080 resolution.

Whichever video card you get make sure you go to their website and download the latest drivers. The new ATI Catalyst drivers and a DVI cable may solve your problem as well.

3. kcarriedo

kcarriedo Member

I have just added ATI AIW 9800 pro to my HTPC and It works wonders
    I have it connected to HDTV box and to my 57" Hitachi currently running at 16:9 and the picture is great!

I feel that AIW serise is the way to go. Its great if your newbie because it has everything that you need to started.

Hope that helps

4. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

get one with hdmi, i hear its better than dvi

5. blkhawk

blkhawk Member

if you don't use it for game play.. do you really need powerful 3D card like GeForce ?

I will say get any card w/ HDMI .. or DVI ... will do..

like Matrox ? .. is Matrox still the best on 2D ?

6. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

your ati card had built into the drivers for full 1080i output. You just need to pick up one of these

http://142.59.19.164/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={78CC5173-EE2C-4728-B0E4-A78435987E9D}&ic=VIDATI-HDTV&Tp=

This will take youre vga ourput and convert it to the true HDTV signal you are looking for to go with your TV. It has little dip switches to set it on the adapter as well. This will ONLY work with a ati card though because you need to set the options on your display settings to match it.

Its on the "ADVANCED" setting of your display settings. Then go to "DISPLAYS" and click on the one thats showing up. You can then go to "ADVANCED" in there and select "COMPOSITE" you display should now be showing the true 1080i or 420p or whatever mode you set that dip switch to.

No need to get a new card, just a new adapter. Thats the big advantage over nvidia for this part at least.