1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best video size for CRT TV???

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by go4saket, Jul 31, 2007.

1. go4saket

go4saket Member

Hi guys!

I have a few home shooted videos in DV-AVI format. I want to convert them to XVID format. What is the best Video Size in which I should encode it. I want to see the final output on a 29" CRT TV. As a video in DVD format is different than that of VCD format and both runs fine on a TV, I am not able to decide which size gives the best output on TV. Please help.

Thank you.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

So you have a player that plays DviX?

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

for any analog T.V. , the default size is 640x480. When I edit a video to play on my 19 inch analog T.V. 640x480 always fills the screen, without stretching the video or putting black bars on the screen.

4. go4saket

go4saket Member

Thanks John218! This is what I was looking for. BTW, does this mean that if I make a video of less than 640*480, the video is stretched to cover the full screen, there by degrading the quality.

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

These are the common use 4:3 aspect settings that will work ok
    on analog TV's, I just use the 640X480 setting because it was the
    default setting on my video editing software for TV output, and has
    work fine for me.

VCD NTSC 320x240 VHS quality
    SVCD NTSC 480x480 SuperVHS quality
    PC analog monitor standard is 640x480
    DVD NTSC DVD MPEG-2 720x480 DVD quality

I think if you stray from the standards, you will get those black bars on the top and bottom of your TV screen. From my test's that I did 640X480 worked on my monitor, my 19 inch analog tv, and even on my 27 inch LCD flatscreen filling the entire screen with decent quality.
    But I think you might have to encode a small video in each of the different settings to see which one offers the best quality for you.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if my source is hd, i would encode at 720x576. whether ntsc or pal. no problem. for a compliant dvd, you need to soft pulldown to 25fps, as pal. 30fps is only possible with ntsc. but if you shoot your video at less res, don't upsize. use the res of what you shot it wtih.