1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way of burning .avi files?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by A5hX, Jan 6, 2005.

1. A5hX

A5hX Member

*sigh* I used the WAV as audio source, but the resulting MPEG movie has the audio about 5 secs ahead of the video- anyway to correct these sync errors? Oh BTW it was much quicker to enocde using the WAV method: 4 hrs vs. 11 hrs, I know what I'd choose.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

OK this thread is spinning a bit out of control, lets get something straight...

If you have an AVI file, with MP3 audio (mosrtly likely VBR encoding if you downloaded it) then chances are it wont open with TMPGEnc becase of issues it has with VBR mp3.

Therefore you have to do something with the audio to fix this problem but remember this...

[bold]NEVER LOAD A SEPERATE VIDEO AND AUDIO SOURCE WITH TMPGEnc LIKE THAT WHEN YOU CAN AVOID IT[/bold]

Instead use VirtualDUB to decompress the audio while saving a brand new AVI file.

To do this...

1. Open the AVI in VirtualDUB.
    2. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
    3. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
    4. Click Audio - Compression. Select "No Compression (PCM)" (should be first option) and click OK.
    5. Click File - Save as AVI.

Due to the new avi you save having uncompressed audio, the file will be much larger than the original.

In my 3 year experience helping on this forum, loading a seperate source wav file in TMPGEnc just doesnt help in a lot of cases.

[bold]Now a little about VCD..[/bold]

VCD is...

Video: 352x288 PAL or 352x240 NTSC. Framerates can be 23.97fps or 29fps (NTSC) or 25fps(PAL). CBR birate 1150kb/s

Audio: MPEG Audio Layer II (MP2), 44100hz 224kb/s.

Now basically it will take 10MB for every minute of video, which means you'll fit 80min on an 80 min CDR.

If you need to split your file afterwards there;s several programs u can use, including TMPGEnc and MPEG VCR. In TMPGEnc, click File --> MPEG tools and select Merge and Cut. Add the MPEG file you get from TMPGEnd and click edit. you can ow make a selection of the video stream with the { and } buttons, when you are done click ok, select an output directory and filename (by clicking output) and change the Video tpye t MPEG-1 (VideoCD). After you save the file, make another selection by clicking edit but this time select the rest of the video and do the same to save it as before.

[bold]Jerky Playback[/bold]

If your source file is NTSC (most likely to be 23.97fps), then the copnversion to PAL will cause a slight pause in the playback when you have used TMPGEnc to encode. This is unavoidable due to the conversion between 23.976fps and 25fps.

[bold]SVCD and DVD[/bold]

SVCD and DVD encoding (from AVI source) is by no means a bad idea. Shit in shit out is true but if your avi files are DVDRips, then they arent that shit. VBR SVCD and DVD encoding produces excellent results.. Oh and btw, I seriously have to warn people off KVCD, it is not what it is hyped up to be, just simply non stanards VCD with a few little changes that somer people think makes it look better.

[bold]Audio Quality[/bold]

If using TMPGEnc and you'd like to have the highest quality audio possible, then I suggest using tooLame and SSRC.

To setup tooLame and SSRC, download them from Afterdawn and extract them into two folders. Now in TMPGEnc, click Option - Environmental Setting. Click Audio Engine and under MPEG Audio Layer II encoder select External program and click browse. locate tooLame.exe and select it, click ok. Now under Sampling Frequency Converter, select External program and locate SSRC.exe. Now when u encode with TMPGEnc, before the video encoding starts the audio encoding will be done.

SSRC: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/ssrc.cfm

tooLame: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_encoders/toolame.cfm

Well I hope this heklps, check out the guide section also to see if that can help you any further...

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  3. A5hX

A5hX Member

Thanks for the help Dela, I've now got a great VCD with excellent video and crystal clear sound. Also, NeroVision Express 3 is pretty good for creating menus and chapters, especially for a "n00b" like me. Here's a straight-forward guide I found pretty damn helpful-

http://www.geocities.com/omegaweaponvcd/vcd_guide.htm