1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way of burning DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Clyde, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Member

I have been experimenting on 2 DVD burning softwares. They are Nero Burning Rom 6 and Alcohol 120% v1.9.2

I heard from my friend that Nero isn't really reliable for burning stuff. Therefore, I checked all my DVDs using Nero's Toolkit; CD-DVD Speed for checking the Disc Quality. Turned out that all the discs I burned have very high PI Errors and PI Failures.

Thinking of a solution, my friend suggested converting the files into ISO images first, then burn them using Alocohol 120% for stability and reliability. Following his advice, I converted them into ISO using Nero's Image Recorder. Then I used Alcohol to burn the discs.
    But it turned out the same. PI Errors and PI Failures very still very high. Why is this so?

I'm using TDK 1616DLN DVD-burner.
    The medias I use are TDK's DVD+R; using RicohJpn dye and Fujufilm's DVD+R; using TY dye.
    I burn the DVD at it's labelled speed.
    I have at least 8GB of free space when I burn my DVDs, without multi-tasking.

Any better solutions of burning a DVD of high quality?
    Please help! Thanks in advance.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

by labelled speed is that 8x or 4x?? when burning movies, or anything for that matter, your better of burning at a slower than rated speed (i recommend 50% of rated). So if 4x discs burn at 2x, and 8x sholuld be burnt at 4x. Also 8gb for a 4.7gb burn isnt really enough. Try to have at least 10 or more free.
    Nero is one of the best burning apps available and used by many on this forum including myself
    Your media quality isnt an issue but make sure you have the latest firmware in your burner

3. Clyde

Clyde Member

Thanks for the fast reply deadcat.

All the DVD-medias I have are rated 8x. Therefore, I burn at 8x.
    The TDK media can burn up to 12x and Fujifilm media can burn up to 16x though. But I only burn at their rated speed.

Well, I do have the lastest firmware also...
    Maybe I'll free my HDD space up to 10GB when I burn stuff.
    Thanks for the tips!

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

just because its rated doesnt mean you should. A safe margin for burns without errors is, like i said, 50% of rated speed. Remember that 4x is only about 5 mins slower than 8x anyway and 16x is only about 3 min faster again because they dont burn at that speed for the whole disc

5. Batman400

Batman400 Member

If you are trying to copy DVD your going at it the wrong way both those programs wont burn copyright stuff you need to use a program like DVD Shrink free here and once you have that you put in a movie read it look at the quality and if it is around 80% you hit the back it up button and this will take an 8.5gb DVD and compress it to 4.7gb now if the quality is say at 60% this is not that great then you would hit the RE Author button and this will break down the DVD into 3 different files the one you want is the movie file its the 1 in the middle just click and drag to the left now check your quality and you will see maybe 80-90% now if you want you can drop the other lanaguages and subtitles if you want,what you end up with is just the movie you put it in the player and it stars no menus ext. And your smart no multitasking even shut off your screen saver this things can mess up a burn fast,anyways I have copied around 1000 DVDs and allmost all have been a success The last 3 no but I had to clean my burner LOL
    O Ya you need Nero6 as a burning program as DVD Shrink uses it no you, you will see in the the setup that it askes what burning program you use and you select Nero and it uses it on its own
    Good Luck Batman400