1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to clean DVD media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Newfee, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Hey guys. I've read it somewhere in all the threads, but can't find it anywhere! I just want to know the best way to clean blank DVD's as well as after burning. Thanks.

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Use fluid meant for cleaning eyeglasses, either as a spray, dropper bottle, or those throw away wipes. Then use lenses cleaning cloth of type that comes with cameras or binnoculars. Sometimes a shoe polishing cloth (like those provided in rooms of upscale hotels) may be soft enough not to scratch, but use the lense cleaning fluid, not soap or even plain water

3. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Thanks for the info Stan...

sorry about mulitposting this question...I only realized that after I put it in the wrong forum.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

theres a better way take the offending disc to your local dvd library.Mine has a machine that cost them about $5000 and it cleans and polishes the disc.Removes marks etc.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I wouldn't use anything more than a damp cloth (pref. distilled water). Alot of those lens cleaners are alcohol based, and any solvents on disc is not recommended. For really dirty discs, I've put the whole disc under the faucet with mild soap before (cold water), but I worry because cheap discs may not be 100% sealed, so I guess this is where you get the disc rot.

6. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Some say lens cleaner...some say water...

Do I need to clean my blanks before I burn ?

I also noticed I had a working copy of a DVD...I then let my friend borrow it and I noticed a fingerprint on the bottom...now my disc won't play! Is there any way around this? DVDINFOPro shows alot of errors now that I didn't have before...I know I can just burn again, but I don't wanna have another coaster.

Thanks guys for the help.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Eyeglass cleaning drops, spray, wipes contain water and a surfactant. No alcohol to my knowledge. Safe even for plastic lenses. Should be no problen for DVDs

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... At the WalMart eyeglass centers they have an excellent lens cleaning solution that's reasonably priced ... And if you buy one spray bottle, they'll even refill it for free, forever ... While you're there, buy yourself a can of compressed air ... Between the two products, you'll be set to keep your old and new discs clean ...