1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to defragment your HDD

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by yazer, Aug 18, 2004.

1. yazer

yazer Member

Hi guys,
    I am trying to defragment a partition on my HDD ant it's 50 GB.. and the windows defragmentation tool did a great job my moving some files.. and the partition appears to be all red!!! (red = defragmented files - blue = continous files - for those who forgot)
    I am trying to use Norton Speed Disk now, any ideas or experiences to share?

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Diskeeper is another to check out. It is pretty good, and used to be about the only utility that would defrag NTFS volumes back in the days of NT 3.51/4.0 since they didn't come with one from Microsoft like the one included with 2000 and XP.

3. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

side note: the defragmentation tool in windows (XP,2000) is a striped down version of executive software's DISKEEPER (v.4.0) they also have a demo http://www.executive.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

They are up to v8.0 and it kicks.I defrag my 160GB hard drive in no time.

4. yazer

yazer Member

I used to use diskeeper and it always started on its own at the times i never wanted it to work (although they said u wont notice!!):
    -Playing a game..
    -Burning a CD (boy, I got lots of coasters from that program)