1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to do this

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kalabula, Jan 24, 2007.

1. kalabula

kalabula Member

I want a 3 second clip from a retail dvd that I purchased. The clip is toward the end of the movie and I have dvd decrypter and want to use the clip in my Sony Vegas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.s I decrypted the dvd onto my hardrive as iso but I cant even burn the dvd to a disc from there beacuse it's 7.3gb and the disc is only 4.7gb. Im a little confused!

2. onya

onya Guest

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

You will need to use Shrink to open the iso file. In Shrink Go to File> Open Disc Image and point it to the iso file.

4. kalabula

kalabula Member

I just reas that guide. I downloaded ripit4me and dvd shrink. Im ready to back up my files now I need to know how to get that 3 second clip of the dvd. Anyone?

5. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If you really want to use Shrink to grab the clip, then use Shrinks Reauthor mode, Start/End frames, select the beginning and end point, then Backup.

But, if I wanted a 3 second clip from a DVD I would open the VOB file with a frame accurate mpeg2 editor like VideoRedo. Locate the precise start and stop frame for the 3 seconds I wanted, then save the clip. VideoRedo has a free trial version which you can download.

6. kalabula

kalabula Member

Im very new to this so you have to go slow with me. Im not certain how I would open the vob file. When I put the disc in there are 4 folders and a few other files aside from those. I assume the vob files that I want are in the Audio-ts and/or the Video-ts folders. But there looks to be about 20 vob files in each. How do I know which is the right one? And aside from that what exactly do I do with them?

Sorry for the ingorance as I said, Im very new to this.

P.s. thanks for the help so far.

7. kalabula

kalabula Member

I tried to open a few of the vob's on the dvd with windows media player classic (This site says that media player classic will play vob's) but nothing happens.

8. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If you browse to the folder where your video files are, and then sort them by size it will be easy to see which vob files belong to your main movie. They will be the largest files, around 1 GB. For example, vts_01_1.vob, vts_01_2.vob, vts_01_3.vob etc. Usually there are 4 or 5 vob files for a movie.

So if you want to get 3 seconds from your movie, and the scene is near the end of the movie it would be in the last vob file of the set. That would be the vob file whose name ends in 4 or 5, depending how many there are.

To save just the 3 seconds from that vob, if I've understood you correctly that that's what you're trying to do, I would suggest opening the vob file with an mpeg editor like Videoredo. You can also open it with Virtualdubmod.

You wouldn't try to open it with Windows Media Player because you want to edit the Vob file to get the specific 3 seconds. Again, assuming I've understood your intentions correctly.

Download the trial version of videoredoplus. It will open your vob file and allow you to edit it. Then save the 3 seconds you want.

http://www.videoredo.com/

9. kalabula

kalabula Member

I tried to open the vob directly from the disc and couldn't. I assume I am going to need to decrypt the files first or something. I'll mess around with it, hopefully I'll get it.

I've downloaded about 10 programs so far to try and get this clip!

10. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

You need to rip the disk to HD first and then go into and get the clip you want

11. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Also, you might not even need the extra software I was mentioning earlier.

Maybe Sony Vegas can import the VOB file and you can edit it there. I don't know what limitations Sony Vegas has. If it can't then you'd need other software to get the clip.

12. kalabula

kalabula Member

How do I rip the files so they stay vob?

I have dvddecrypter, ripit4me dvdshrink3.2, windows mpc, video redo plus and Sony Vegas. Im sure I have all the software that I need Im just not sure how to use it. I've seen the guide for backing up my dvd but this converts the files to iso on my hd. I need them to stay vob so I can grab the 3 second clip that I want (if I understand correctly).

13. onya

onya Guest

@kalabula

When you've ripped your files to hdd, is it the fact that you can't see the .Vob extension?

Are you seeing VTS_01_0 etc, when you open the folder?
    This had me confused, so I checked... The files within the folder have no .Vob extension, but when the cursor is placed over the folder before opening, it tells me there are files with .Vob extentions inside. So maybe use the file anyway?

Is this what you see?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  14. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

You rip it in File Mode and not in Iso Mode. Use Ripit4me and rip the files to the HD as that program will automatically rip in File Mode. After ripping if Shrink comes up then close Shrink. Now go to where the files are ripped on the HD and find the .vob you want. Right click that and tell it to play so you can verify that the 3 seconds you want is in that .vob. Now process it like you want to

15. onya

onya Guest

@Car.Mike, Why would the vob extension be displayed as I just described? Confused :{

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@onya

You probably have windows set to hide known file extensions. So that is why you do not see the .VOB extension or the .IFO extension.

The .BUP extension must be showing because windows does not have the file extension associated with any program and it is unknown.

If you want to change the setting so you see all the file extensions of known and unknown files then do the below...

Open a folder with files in it (Any folder will do like My Documents)

Now go to the top of the window and click on TOOLS then click FOLDER OPTIONS.

When the Folder Options window comes up click on the VIEW tab..

Now go down the list a little ways and you will see a box that has a check in it next to (Hide Extensions for Known file types)

Uncheck the box and click apply and exit out of the windows. You will then see all file extensions for all file types (Known or unknown)

Before the box is unchecked...
    [​IMG]

Uncheck the (Hide known file extension) Box...
    [​IMG]

After the box has been unchecked...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,
    As near as I can tell, Shrink shouldn't have a problem removing a 3 second clip. The Set Start/End frames has a resolution of 6 or 7 frames which is probably close enough... It keeps the required I, P and B frames.

Open the DVD with Shrink, Select Reauthor, drag the main title over.
    Open the Set Start/End frames feature and cut out the clip you want. Back it up to a folder on your desktop or wherever you can find it later.

Here is my flash animated guide which covers this in more detail:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial001.html

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@kalabula

You can use DVD Decrypter to rip a single .VOB file from the DVD, Once you get the .VOB file to your Hard Drive you can then edit that giving you the video clip that you want.

Put the DVD into your drive. If you have autoplay enabled on your computer you should get the box that pops up asking you what to do. If this is the case click on the option (Open Folder to View Files)

If autoplay is not enabled then you will need to click on My Computer. Then right click on your DVD drive letter and choose Explore to bring the files up that is on the DVD.

Once you have done 1 of the above, click on the VIDEO_TS folder. You will then see multiple files in the window. Now click on each .VOB file till you find the .VOB file that has the video you want to make the clip of.

Example...

Lets say you went through all the VOB files and you found the video that you want to use for your clip in VTS_01_5.VOB

[​IMG]

Remember that the video you want is in VTS_01_5.VOB (write it down)

Now it is time to rip that file from the DVD so you can edit the portion of the video you want.

Leave the DVD in the drive and start DVD Decrypter. You will now need to change the ripping mode to FILE and select (highlight) VTS_01_5.VOB file to rip to your Hard Drive to edit. Follow the image below...

[​IMG]

Now you have the single VOB file that has the video you want on your Hard Drive. Import it into a editing program to get the portion of the video you want.

19. onya

onya Guest

@larrylje, Again many thanks, I must be gettin' old...lol I knew what the problem was as soon as you posted...the known file types was ticked. Darn is my face red. :p
    Cheers.

PS: cs2 still aint working, in the next few months or so....no rush....lol, would you mind giving me a hand?

20. kalabula

kalabula Member

You guys (and/or gals) are great. I have a video clip that I need to capture to my hardrive and as soon as it's done I will try what you've described (in incredible detail).

Thanks again for all the help.