1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to jump into the Wii Scene?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Skippydzg, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Skippydzg

Skippydzg Member

Heya!

I've been reading some posts, and just wanted to clarify a couple of points.

1) Has this audio issue with backup Gamecube games been solved yet?

I've seen some yes and no on this, and it looks like the WiiKey actually solved that problem 100%...is this true?

2) Is the unmoddable Wii still unmoddable?

I want to buy a Wii, but obviously not an unmoddable one...and more than likely, all new Wiis will be this crazy chipset...anyone know of places that offer premods or sell moddable Wiis?

3) And lastly, does the Anti-Brick patcher program guaranteed, 100 percent of the time, when patched correctly, keep your Wii from getting bricked?

2. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

I suppose it would depend on the modchip you're using, I have a WiiKey and I have had no problems with audio (so far)

The supposedly "unmoddable" Wii should actually be re-labeled "the more difficult to mod" Wii. If you browse the forum you will see that some people have had success modding the Wii's with the new mobo chipset. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but most of the places that install modchips around here guarantee their work. I got mine modded for $75 (WiiKey included)

Once again, just a quick glance at the top of the forums threads would point you to the "How to protect yourself from region brick" thread. But.... the best way to protect yourself is to keep your Wii updated via the internet (either automatically or manually) and to only use Wii images from your region. IF you do go out of region, use the brickblocker program (URL is in the aforementioned thread). Now all things being equal, not everything is a 100% guarantee. Just because you follow all of the steps correctly doesn't mean you won't brick your Wii.

3. BaNZ

BaNZ Member

I heard fstfix can fix the audio problems with GC games. I haven't got a GC controller to try the games out yet.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wiikey states they have an audio fix for streaming audio. The problem is that it doesn't work. The new firmware that should be out soon is supposed to correct the audio fix issue. So at this time Wiikey does not work 100% with streaming audio GC games.

There is an unmoddable Wii chipset out there which has the D2C chipset. At this time no Modchip is compatible with this chipset. The only Wii systems that have been verified of having these D2C chipsets are European Wii systems. So if you live in North America you shouldn't have a problem getting a Wii that can be modded.

You could also get a D2B chipset that has its legs cut from the chipset. This is the Wii systems that falcon209 has talked about. If you get 1 of these Wii systems you will need to try to solder to the cut pins (as some have done before) or modifey the chipset to solder onto the cut pins.

As falcon209 said look at the "How To Protect from a Region Brick" thread that has been stickied at the top of the forum. Keeping your Wii system updated to the latest firmware and using Wii Brick Blocker will protect you 99.9% leaving a small chance for user error when using Wii brick Blocker or not keeping the Wii updated properly.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  5. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

Thx for correcting me larry. Just goes to show you even if you "think" you know you might not. Just because something works for you it doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

If there was a way to give REP or KARMA like on other forums you'd be getting one from me larry. Thanks for keeping all of us in line and very informed!!!

6. keypox

keypox Regular member

i heard you worked for nintendo larry is that true?

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes it is true.

larrylje of course is my user name but my real name is Satoru Iwata.