1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to put multiple Divx/Xvid's on DVD ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by byknmatt, Aug 9, 2003.

1. byknmatt

byknmatt Guest

Hey guys im new to this... what is the best way to put multiple divx's / xvid's on 1 DVD ? each .avi file is around 700 mb. Will I have to convert each file to a VCD .mpeg ? of some kind and then make them all chapters or? any input would be appreciated. on a side note im also curious if going from one of these 700 meg .avi's to a SVCD would be of any benefit ? (didn't see much improvment in quality over the VCD) thanks... matt..

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Personally i wouldnt bother cos each 700MB file will be like 2 GB after encoding to MPEG2 which needs to be done to put on DVD-R
    [The quality is not great either]

MPEG is a very loose term btw

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

VCD = MPEG-1
    SVCD = MPEG-2 [also DVD compliant]

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

It really depends a lot on the size of your TV and your personal idea of "quality." In the past I have converted AVIs to DVD and been satified watching them on my 29" Samsung flatscreen (not great quality, similar to VHS). However, playing the same DVD on my friend's 59" LG projection TV was a fairly painfull experience.
    If you want to play with this, I would suggest you do about 3.5~4 hours per DVD-R. Convert them to MPEG2 using TMPGEnc Plus, then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to prepare them for burning to DVD-R.
    If you have used VCD in the past and were happy, you can encode the films as VCD MPEG1 files (also via TMPGENC) and author these for use on a DVD-R using TMPGEnc DVD Author (the DVD standard accepts VCD compliant files). But really, we can do better than that....