1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to watch files from my pc on my plasma

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by fosho, Oct 14, 2011.

1. fosho

fosho Member

Hi there, I am currently in the process of purchasing a new tv and am pretty set on this 60” lg 3D set model "60PZ550."

The main reason I’m interested in this TV (other than the great price) is its wifi capability. My main question is:
    What is the simplest, smoothest and most effective way for me to watch hd movies stored in my computer on my tv.
    Things to keep in mind about the context of my situation:
    - My desktop computer and modem is located upstairs and the TV will be setup downstairs

- Where I live p2p and torrents are legal, and the majority of movie files that I will be playing will mainly be mkv or mp4. Essentially I’m looking for the best way to play a diverse range of file formats from my computer on to my tv smoothly.

My concerns:
    When I tried setting up my windows media center with the xbox360 extender through the xbox wireless n adapter last year, movies would start to stutter or pause temporarily to cache and then continue. I believe playback was choppy due to the wifi and I have heard cautionary tales about playing movies over a wifi connection. I am concerned that this will happen again, and that playback will not be smooth streaming from my pc upstairs to the plasma downstairs. Is it necessary for me to buy additional hardware components? I feel like if this 2011 tv has wifi built in then theoretically there should be no need for me to buy a blue-ray player or what not, because with the tv's wifi capability it could recognize my computer from upstairs and I could just play movies through vlc.

Is this not correct?

Thanks so much I truly appreciate any responses

2. Rocks911

Rocks911 Member

I recently purchased an LG plasma, about a month ago, and it had a USB port in the side that played everything on my WD HDD. This is a cheap model so I imagine this capability is available for all their TV's. It played MKV's AVI's and Video_TS
    Forget streaming and just plug in your movies and you'll bypass a lot of headaches.

3. fosho

fosho Member

ya no shit eh. I think I will!

Thanks for the post