1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best ways to Ressurect scratched discs?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pallytuna, Apr 21, 2005.

1. pallytuna

pallytuna Member

Hi to all. Can anyone provide some good tips/products to help get a dvd that is scratched back to life? A friend got a wedding dvd from vietnam and it was marked up during shipping. I'm hoping I can get it good enough to grab the iso and burn a playable copy.
    I am trying dvd decryptor 3.5.1.0. and have set it to ignore read errors and use brute force.
    I am also trying dvdshrink 3.2.0.15. This program got as far as 65%. Decryptor got nowhere.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Is it scratched or is there something on the disc making it unreadable? If it's scratched, some people use car wax to buff out the scratches. Some people use toothpaste (no baking soda!) and just buff it with that.

Otherwise there is a program called DVD X Rescue that does a pretty good job recovering scratched up discs.

3. pallytuna

pallytuna Member

Hey Squizzle.
    The disc has some scratches and also some faint, ghosting kind of an effect on it.

Thanks for the tips on wax and t.paste. I'll try them. I'll do a search for the dvd x rescue program and check it out too.

4. clickclak

clickclak Guest

i've had success with one of those stupid Disk Doctors that I bought at electronics boutique a while ago.

5. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

If the package they shipped it in was insured, I'd turn in the damage too! That's what insurance is for.

I've had good luck using dishwashing liquid and warm water to remove filmly appearing stuff off.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I forgot all about those little workout machines! They work good, as long as you have a fairly new wheel on it. If it's an old one, it'll just scratch the hell out of the disc.

7. pallytuna

pallytuna Member

Thanks to all for replying. I've now tried turtle wax, t.paste and also dishwahing liquid. The disc certainly does look better (not great, but better). Still getting the read errors, however.

I looked into the DVD X Rescue program, but can not locate a demo version. Is there a freeware equivalent program that someone has had success with? Any insights appreciated...