1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BeSweet (v1.4) cpu usage

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Mattrage, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Can any fellow BeSweet users tell me what their experience has been with BeSweet in terms of cpu usage? I'm having problems here. As soon as I start BeSweet, regardless of the format being converted to/from, my cpu usage immediately jumps to 100%. Additionally, my internet connection is killed; anything I'm downloading fails almost immediately. Everything sags. I don't ever remember that happening on my old machine. Now, before you lace into me about how I should be encoding at night w/ no other programs running, etc., I know that. What I want to know is if mine is using an unusual amount of resources, or if everyone has the same problem I do.

The measures I've taken to try to remedy the issue include virus, spybot, and trojan scans, a "repair install" of Windows Xp, updating all possible drivers, particularly graphics and motherboard drivers, all to no avail. I really can't say if this problem is limited to just BeSweet either, but it certainly is most noticeable there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I am an idiot when it comes to hardware and computer diagnostics. As I just purchased this pc a couple of weeks ago and started with a clean format, I would very much prefer not to format again and begin the whole process of reinstalling everything and tweaking settings yet again. Also, if it helps, I'm running an Athlon XP 3000+ (2.167 GHz), 512mb DDR, 64mb integrated graphics card and a 160 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor HD.

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,
    OUCH!!!

That is BAD news, it sounds like a "thread fight" to me..

What you could try is this,
    run Task Manager with the Applications tab open,
    run BeSweet and watch the Task Manager for the status message changing from "Running" to "Not Responding"

Wait a couple of minutes for things to settle,
    what is flagged as "Not Responding"??

Select the Precesses tab, sort by CPU,
    watch for the top three processes,
    what percentages (roughly) are shown??

Have Fun...

3. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Thanks for your reply,

I watched the Task Manager as I ran BeSweet for a few minutes. I pretty much left all the background stuff running. I never actually witnessed anything go to not responding. When I checked the cpu under the processes tab, BeSweet stayed in the nineties most of the time, and csrss.exe was second, it hopped up to around 15-20 some of the time. There was never a real consistent third process. I had eMule running, and the uploading was never interrupted. I had irc running, and I stayed connected to the servers, but dcc's running there fell to like 2kB/s and would have failed (due to the minimum speed requirements), which is the main thing I take issue with. My cpu usage overall stayed at 100% until I cancelled. If I restore/maximize irc, it is painfully slow to respond to anything I do (such as just moving the window or using the menu, just anything) and will stay that way until I cancel BeSweet.

I'm also having physical side effects. I'm paranoid that my computer is beyond repair and I'll ultimately have to format and start over. It also seems that it is generally taking too much cpu, and my old 1050mhz/256mb ram machine ran better most of the time. I keep looking for updated drivers and stuff, I'm going crazy!!! I really don't want to format if it can be avoided, but I feel like I've basically done everything I can do short of it. I suppose I should try a restore point first from when I first got my system running. Please advise!

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

What cpu level does CRSS have when BeSweet is NOT running?

CRSS.EXE is the Windows client server run-time subsystem that handles Windows and graphics functions for all subsystems.

That may indicate that the GUI module foe BeSweet is corrupt.
    Are you using the BeSweet GUI module?
    Or are you running BeSweet at the CLI?

Byeee....

5. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for my slow one! I didn't figure on getting a response that quickly. ;) Normally, csrss.exe uses almost no cpu. I am using the gui, but that is a seperate process that feeds command lines to besweet.exe, which is the cpu hog (I should note cpu hog for me and my screwy computer, not that it's a cpu hog in general.) The gui uses almost no cpu or memory while encoding.

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Agreed,

BeSweet uses almost no CPU UNLESS it is processing, just starting the application should not use any appreciable CPU, for any appreciable time.

The fact that CSRSS is so high while BeSweet is initialising/running gave me cause to question the GUI aspect.

Have you noticed any other application giving odd results in the Task Manager window (Processes/CPU)?

Is BeSweet even managing to open the CLI window?

Have Fun...

7. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Well, I never started paying attention to my cpu usage until this stuff starting happening, of course. I have noticed that sometimes when scrolling, particularly when scrolling very quickly and heavily, my cpu usage shoots up, and I can get it to 100% without too much effort. This would seem to point to a graphics driver, but I've quadruple checked that I have the right one installed. I think I may try disabling my video driver tomorrow and going plug 'n' play (which will definitely cause scrolling problems) and see if the cpu problem persists with besweet. I think I'll also try safe mode tomorrow, I can't believe I haven't tried that yet. I have got to go to bed for now though. Thanks again for all your help. I will definitely keep you posted, as this is driving me so crazy that I'll ramble on to anyone who will listen at this point :p
    [bold]Edit:[/bold] Yes, the client window opens. It encodes the audio, too! It's just absolutely terrible cpu performance.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  8. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

I'm beginning to realize that I'll probably never be comfortable with my pc again until I format and start over. Thanks again for your help! I'll probably just pick a day next week to wipe the slate clean and have a go at it. I'll just have to watch very closely this time and run tests after every other program install or so to see what might be causing it. I'll also try a more logical order of installing everything, first OS, then Service Packs & drivers, then programs (not as quickly this time.) I'll also get a disk utility to dump what I have onto another partition so I don't have to worry about losing a damn thing this time, it will always still be there if I need to dig it up.

However, if it still turns out that I can't solve the problem by these methods, I suppose I'll need to start turning to the hardware as the problem, so you may not have heard the last of this yet. Thanks again for your help drchips.