1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Betamax VCR working, and in UK

Discussion in 'Buy stuff' started by varnull, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varnull

varnull Guest

Wanted.. one of these..

[​IMG]

Must be in good working order, but doesn't need to be cosmetically so hot.. just as long as it works well and is complete and cheap..
    Can collect in North West.

2. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Hmmmm...What do you want one of them for??..

Just Curious :p.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Playing betamax tapes :lol: not rocket science really.

i heard once that they made pretty good toast too.. after the heads had worn out. Mostly I believe they ended up as doorstops or as the 4 toploaders I already have, something to support something else.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I have a Toshiba VS-46 that has audio but not video, probably new heads would fix it. I will check into it and see if can be fixed and post back

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Is that an American version? If it is please don't go wasting any more of your time.. I need UK PAL or nothing thanks.

The Toshiba (If I remember right.. been a very very long time) suffered with failure of the head pre-amps due to static discharge within the head drum when the carbon contact on the top of the head spring wore down. The visual symptom is a black screen rather than snow. They were actually fitted inside the head drum assembly. Later versions had them on a small daughter board inside a half matchbox sized silver can on the side of the drum motor housing. .. yup.. I had the task of repairing these horrors when they were at the end around 1985-6. Much preferred them to the Sony c6 tho.. and the c7 wasn't much better. I remember an engineer at the time saying (1980ish) that "The out of guarantee repair costs are going to be high... very high" Not a good omen. I last saw a working betamax machine in 1992, so I don't hold out that much hope.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

OK.. can be closed. Nice chap on the UK vintage radio forums has loaned one for the time needed to to what is required..

Thanks

Can be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.