1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

better chip than neo2.2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by gozilla, Apr 24, 2004.

1. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

hi all, ive got a v3 pal ps2 with a neo2.2 chip installed. this chip has passed its prime and am looking for something new and more robust than the neo. i need something than can boot up the new double protected games. are there any chip thats can boot up double protected games without CDLoader? im not to fussed about having to use boot disks, but if i can avoid it,it would be much better. anyway, which chip would u recommend, im currently looking at getting a duo chip.
    also, is it possible to install a new chip, once a machine has already been modded?

2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

You could remove the neo 2.2 chip and then install a chip like the DMS3, Magic V, or Messiah 2.

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I had the Neo 2.2 and it did the job but whenI upgraded I went with an M2Pro but would've gotten the DMS3 if it where out.

4. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Got a Matrix MXL installed a few months ago, no problems with it at all, very happy.

Dene

5. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

do any of these chips bypass the the double protection and therefore eliminate the need for CDLoader/DVDLoader or any other method of using a boot disk?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]My Dog has no nose!
    Then how does he smell?
    AWFUL!!![/small]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  6. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

The DMS3, Magic V, and Messiah 2 all have this feature. Every one of those chips can boot any backup as if it were an original.

7. Cyclonick

Cyclonick Member

I have a DMS3 modchip installed in my ps2.. I am very satisfied with it.. they released a new flash upgrade recently, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks even more promising.. For my part, I think that if you want to use the full capabilities of your ps2, the dms3 modchip is the one you should get. here's their website www.dms3.com

8. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

If you have a V3 I would not go to the expense of a DMS - as you probably do not have that much life left in the laser.

Also installation would be a B!tch in the V3.

Go the DUO or the Matrix MXL2 as these only have 17 wires to install (only 2 on the CD/DVD controller chip legs - which is a god send).

both will get past the double protected games - and the DUO is more stable (when installed by novices) and by far cheaper than the DMS.

Matrix MXL2 is not as cheap as the DUO but it is cheaper than the DMS.

9. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

yeah, thanks all for the input. gonna go ahead with the duo mod chip.