1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better choice to decrypt?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Marauder1, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Marauder1

Marauder1 Member

What are the pro's and cons of using DVD Decrypter instead of doing a full backup with DVD Shrink?

Is one "better" then the other at decrypting?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

For 99% of the time there's no difference and Shrink will do nicely but when it comes to the 1% that Shrink can't handle Decrypter really shines. When it comes to discs that have light scratches or other errors Decrypter has some very useful options to overcome most of these :)

3. Marauder1

Marauder1 Member

Cool thanks for the reponse. In this 1% that doesn't decrypt well in DVD Shrink...will it give me a read error or is it more imperceptible and you'd have to view the backup to check?

4. Nephilim

There's one main reason for the 1%. Once in a while there's a title that trips Shrink up for whatever reason but most of the time playing the disc for a few seconds with a software player such as PowerDVd or WinDVD does the trick - if not Decrypter is the choice.

Another situation is if the disc is scratched and causing CRC errors in Shrink. Once again Decrypter is sometimes able to overcome this by tweaking the settings to deal with it.

If it rips fine with Shrink then there'll be no perceptible difference in the resulting copy. Basically either it rips or it doesn't :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm sorry I have used both programs for some time over 400 DVD Backups and I have to disagree with Nephilim on this one. DVD Shrink outshines Decrypter. First of all I would like to know this 1% he is talking about? I have had more sucess reading DVD's with Shrink than Decrypter. Shrink will let you rip just the files you want (Main Movie only)this also results in a faster rip. Decrypter only rips the intire movie to HD wasting HD space and time. Shrink is more user friendly.
    When it comes down to it both are good programs and both are free so try them both and see which one you like best. It dosen't really matter what we think it's what you prefer. I do agree with Nephilim on one thing the outcome of the quality of DVD you produce with either program will be the same and you won't be able to tell the difference. these are just my opinions from personal experince I am in no way trying to tell you what you should use just trying to give you another point of view. Try them both you will be pleased with either one I am sure..

Good luck!

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I find Dvd Decrypter the dog's nadgers actually.

I use for ALL my rips.

You can rip:

The complete disc.
    Copy the complete disc (if it is dvd5 format) and burn it.
    Just the movie.
    Seperate multiple angles and retain the angle required.
    Stream the rip, so you can rip sepearte chapters and different titles on the disc.
    Rip individual video and audio streams off it.

The main differences between the 2, is that Dvd Shrink runs a compression and re-authoring application, whereas Dvd decrypter does not, Dvd Decrypter CAN burn, whereas Dvd Shrink cannot.

Dvd Shrink is more catered for Dvd9 formats, by the fact that it can compress and re-author the files and prepare them into correctly structured compliant files.
    But requires a burning program to complete the task..............

Dvd Decrypter can only rip, stream, and burn...........

However as both programs are freeware, then you can't go wrong with either of them.............

I use:
    Dvd Decrypter
    Dvd2one
    Recordnow Deluxe

And yes, what Nephilim has stated regarding the '1%' you will find is very common.
    However, the continued development of these 2 programs, this problem is slowing becoming erradicated - but it still occurs............

If you do a search, you will find many users have had that problem, and by swapping to Dvd Decrypter have managed to overcome it.......

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  7. Nephilim

You may not have personally experienced it but I've had it happen to me a couple of times and have seen plenty of other folks run into it.