1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEWARE FUGI DVD -R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JAYRA, Dec 13, 2004.

1. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

I was exited when I heard that BEST BUY was selling 25 pk. Fugi -R for 8.99. I went to the store and picked up a pack and they were awesome copies. The problem was since I live pretty far away from BEST BUY I decided with my great luck with Fugi to go ahead and order the same -R 25 pk. for 8.99 free shipping.I recieved order this morning, OUCH. I've had 6 coasters.I soppose after wasting morning afternoon I didn't have a clue what the problem coul be. on the side label it said made in Taiwan the one's I bought at the store were made in Japan. Just for people that care I would check it out the back part of the label because the package donsn't differ and, make sure there the Japan type rather than Taiwan.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is some good advise :-0

I have heard that Fuji has outsourced to CMC now :-(
    If you can run those disks threw DVD Identifier and let us know who manufactured them that would be great. The ones made in Japan are probably coded MCC and the others I would bet are CMC... It's getting harder and harder now a days to buy good quality media.

[​IMG]

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

At my local Best Buy, I noticed that ALL of the DVD+Rs were "Made in Japan" whereas ALL of the DVD-Rs were "Made in Taiwan".

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

bbmayo: The made in Japan Fuji's are Taiyo Yuden (forgot the media id). They come with the same disclaimer sheet on top that Taiyo ships with their DvD media so it is authentic. Also you can tell from the price and the made in Japan Fuji's are more expensive then the made in Taiwan one's.

5. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

Well, I don't totally agree that all the -R's were made in Taiwan otherwise I wouldn't have such fantastic -R's made in Japan. Yes, bbmayo the ones made in Japan are coded MCC and the others are CMC. I don't know what kind of show Fugi's running but, I'm pissed that I can't just stick with one brand and be done. I guess Yudens are different I'll have to try them out.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I was just given a recently purchased 25-pack of Fuji 8X -R and they ID as ProdiscF01 and are made in Taiwan. It's safe to say that when buying Fuji you never know what you're going to get.

7. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Here is the DVD identifier info for those FUJI made in Japan DVD+R (I also got the same info for genuine Taiyo DVD+R):
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
    Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
    Media Type ID : [T02]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

8. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

My Fuji 8X DVD-R puchase at Best Buy identified as FUJIFILM03

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Hello friends ! here in Baton Rouge La. the Fuji's @ best buy & samsclub are The taiwanese variety! the packages/caketubs say made i n taiwan in small print on the label >, They have some of t he made in japan ones too but only in the smaller caketubs and at higher prices than the taiwan version! Also I have noticed atleast in my local stores that the japanese fuji's have a light greyish/white dirty white base to the caketubs . Keep in mind though that this is not a hard and fast rule I have two 50pks that I bought recently with the black base and they are japanese disk but all the fuji's best buy& samsclub here have with the black base are now taiwan disc go figure ? anyway seasons greetings ! + my .02 cents worth actually 1.1 cents adjusting for inflation, peace love & joy to all - Buy Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jellyink

jellyink Member

Yeahh I also got prodisks from the 8x Fugi DVD-R

...Are they any good?

11. playakane

playakane Member

i bought some memorex 8x and dvdderypter said they were Fuji03

12. rajaijah

rajaijah Member

I got 50pack Fuji up to 8X DVD-R from PC connection. Actually i bought a new NEC-3500A DVD-writer from them and if bought along with the writer the FUJI 50 pack is free after rebate. I have stated using them ..used about 10 and no problem so far. They are made in taiwan by prodisc.

Try getting sony 4X DVD-R from bestbuy{instore}. i bought 2 50 packs for $19.25 with tax each. they are made in Japan. when run thro DVD identifier it showed they were made by Sony coorp and not a cheapo from taiwan. But all the DVD+R of sony that i found in bestbuy were made in taiwan. I guess it differs from store to store.

13. DoAsFan

DoAsFan Member

Prodisc OEMs for Fuji, Memorex and other brands, so its no surprise to see ProdiscF01 or their MCC codes in Fuji product.

Some online media retailers may sell you Prodisc DVD-R 8x in a 25-PK. These say 'Fuji code' on the paper packaging, but are sold as Prodisc. "B" careful!

rajaijah, Sony is OEM by Taiwanese manufacturers also. Daxon/Acer/BenQ makes some DVD-R for Sony.

14. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

Rajaijah, do you know if Best Buy still has the Sony 50 pack deal? I can't find it anywhere.

15. rajaijah

rajaijah Member

I think the deal is gone. When i went to bestbuy they had lots of DVD+R {more than 500 50pack spindles} in a table right in front of the entrance but all made in taiwan. I found the japan made DVD-R in the storage media section for the same price $19.99.I found about only 5 and bought 2 of them 10% off coupon and with tax came to $19.25 each . The offer seems to have passed on last weekend I guess.will let you guys know if i come across something like that.

16. pieman

pieman Regular member

bite the bullet guys and buy some tys!At the moment is the only waly to get consistancy.Hopefully they wont follow the path of ritek fuji etc etc