1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of PowerDVD 7DX--Conflicts c AnyDVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by garmoon, Jun 11, 2008.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I just want to let everyone know about the conflict I had with PowerDVD 7DX that came installed on a Dell XPS 630i. I've battled this for 3 weeks.PowerDVD is started upon startup. Also started is AnyDVD which is in big time conflict with Power DVD DX. Could not perform end of disc errors. CloneDVD says burn was successful and AnyDVD says there is no disc in drive. And power DVD won't play it. Disable AnyDVD and disc plays and stopping Power DVD from loading at startup and AnyDVD recognizes CloneDVD's burn. A new built in DRM for slysoft software in Power DVD 7DX.

The real problem is NOT PowerDVD, there are no conflicts with it or any other program that it came installed with. AnyDVD running prevents "End of discs at once" when internal burners try to close the disc in Nero burn Rom, Recode, CloneDVD, and a couple other programs that I rarely use. The work around is to use the utility in ImgBurn to close the disc and then they are recognized by anyDVD or to just unable AnyDVD before burning.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. JRude

JRude Member

Daanngg...thanks for the info...I have an older version of Power DVD but WiLL be checking it to see if recent errors are caused by it and Any DVD running together..
  4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Thanks for the heads up Garmoon. And i'm glad you got it sorted out.
  5. JRude

JRude Member

After removing older Power DVD5, I noticed no different results. I know I will NOT be upgrading in the future! I LOVE older apps and peripherals for just such reason!
  6. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Try AnyDVD 6.4.4.0. You may be surprised.
  7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah I just tried both the latest and greatest AnyDVD and cloneDVD and they are NOT working. The discs are not being close. I even ripped the movie with AnyDVD and then disabled it and tried a burn in each internal sata burner with clone and neither drive successfully closed the disc. All my other programs are working now.
    DVDFab Plat worked from the start.
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

In all fairness to Power DVD DX. It works fine and I have reinstalled it. Everything works if AnyDVD is disabled and cloneDVD doesn't work at all unless used with external USB drive. This Dell and Slysoft are in conflict. I can rip with AnyDVD but have to inactivate it to use Nero 8 recode or to do anything else in Nero.
  9. erpman_4

erpman_4 Member

What build of PowerDVD 7 Deluxe were you using? I wonder if you can reproduce the problem with PowerDVD 7.3 DX Ultra.
  10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I am using Power DVD DX from Dell preinstalled. What problem are you having? AnyDVD is the problem with this build Dell 630i. <My problem is getting disc finalized with anydvd active. There is a work around now with CloneDVD that won't close disc in internal drives(SATA).After clone fails to close I just open ImgBurn and highlight the correct drive and scroll down to close disc option and it does and then I have a working DVD.
  11. IHoe

IHoe Active member

I have PowerDVD8 and I don't seem to have problem with it and AnyDVD at all. must be the version.
  12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

IHOE I've had a conflict with AnyDVD and almost all programs for DVDs with this new pc from the git go. No one from Dell to Slysoft can seem to figure it out. AnyDVD doesn't allow programs on SATA drives to close the burned discs. External usb interfaces work like clockwork and DVDRW work in clone DVD. It's got to be some piece of pre-installed software that's at fault. And it's not Power DVD. If it weren't for a 1yr warranty I would start over from nothing but a OS and anydvd and clone and see if it worked. I have Norton ghost preinstalled where I can go back to the day I plugged it in and this incarnation is #4. I have now figured out all the work arounds and can do what I please. I just put the unclosed errored discs in ImgBurn and choose option to close disc and problem is solved so I haven't bothered trying to solve the conundrum anymore.
  13. varnull

varnull Guest

It is DRM my friend.. simple as, and embedded in the OEM OS that came preinstalled. Try a different HDD with a nice dubious version of xp installed (sp2.. forget that drm riddled sp3) and see what happens.

I always install borg for the less fussy people these days for just this reason.. official XP is full of all kinds of traps.
  14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Jan, This one just has sp 2 on it and I have not let it download sp3. I'll remember that when I reformat.
  15. varnull

varnull Guest

Good plan.. just remember that lots of "official" windows software comes pre packed with all kinds of drm nonsense these days. It seems to be compulsory if it wants windows certification to run on fista. M$ may have shied away from implementing the OS based drm, but just thinking that they are sneaking it in through the back door. I have seen seemingly innocent updates to for instance windows media player.. literally cripple the multimedia capabilities of both xp and fista machines..

It's really annoying to be spending 20% of my working week fixing drm related problems instead of earning my proper living.

My suggestion to everybody who wants to continue using XP is to grab a good sp2 disk and keep hold of it.. don't update it.. it doesn't need it ;) (security fixes my arse.. they may be security related.. but security for whom.. you or the cartel?)
  16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wise words, i've been doing exactly the same thing for years now and the only (few) times i've seen problems/strange system & program behaviour are when i or someone else have accidentally allowed a few Windows Updates to get on there. Windows 'Updates' are horrid, horrid things folks, don't let them near your pc's.
  17. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Hwy creaky, I always update my AnyDVD and I also have PowertoDVD8 installed and I never had a problem with anything. I am running XP Pro SP3 with all the updates. I wish I could help here but I cannot reproduce the problem.
  18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hey there stranger, hope you're well. I haven't used the newest versions of PowerDVD, i was posting more about Windows updates post SP2.
    I would normally keep everything up to date but am wary of what extras MS might have slipped into SP3.
  19. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Since I updated to SP3 I have only found positvie results, my internet connection got faster and have had no ill effects with AnyDVD or any other proggy for that matter. I have updated my PowertoDVD since V6, to V7.3 and bought V8 and updated it recently thought Cyberlinks homepage. The only negative I have found is that the new V8 will not play HD-DVD like V7 did, but since I have gone bluray exclusive it really had no adverse effects on me.