1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Brain Academy -- Fixes Semi-Brick Issue with NTSC Wii Settings

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, Jun 12, 2007.

1. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It has been confirmed that updating the firmware that comes on the Big Brain Academy will fix the Wii settings brick on NTSC due to Mario Strikers update.

I figured this should work and all of you that have had your Wii Settings bricked download this game and it will fix the brick by updating to 2.2U firmware.

2. Flow7

Flow7 Member

If you don't mind me asking, where have you confirmed this?

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

In the thread below I had said when an update comes out on an NTSC Game Disc that was higher then what the update was on Mario Strikers that it should un-brick the problem. There was a member that had used Big Brain Academy to do this. Plus other sites I go to as well have had confirmation of this fixing the problem...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/513429

4. Flow7

Flow7 Member

Well that's good new, i guess for the semi-bricked wii, I guess I'm going to try to fix my semi-brick wii tonight, too bad for the fully bricked wii's, I hope they come out with a flash firmware fix for it soon.

5. densaun

densaun Member

I have a question,

Like me, you avoided the semi-brick, by updating to 2.2U manually, before running Strikers (PAL.) So then when strikers started up it didnt bother installing 2.2E because you already had 2.2U.

So how does it make sense that Big Brain, replaces 2.2E with 2.2U?

Im a little confused why it blocks the update one way, but overwrites the out-of-region firmware the other way.

Was stikers actually 2.0,2.1E??

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The Mario Strikers had a 2.1E firmware update not the 2.2E as I had thought.

Big Brain Academy has the 2.2U firmware on the game disc. So it will update the 2.1E that Mario Strikers had installed to the 2.2U firmware on the Big Brain Academy Game Disc.

The game disc updates do not take the letters in consideration. It is only checking the update number of the firmware 2.1/2.2 so U=USA E=Europe J=Japan does not come into play when the game disc is checking the firmware.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  7. densaun

densaun Member

How about that....

I could have swore I heard of people ending up with 2.2E after running strikers. Misunderstanding, but great news for the semi-brickers indeed.

I am curious to see if someone can reverse engineer the update removal tool to write custom updates to the game disc. This could be something of great use.

8. koolwabit

koolwabit Guest

Out of curiosity, what difference is in the latest firmware. ie What does it do new ?

koolwabbit

9. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

from what i understand, most of it was parental settings as a settings option -- could be wrong.

10. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

If you convert a PAL game to NTSC would it still unbrick a NTSC wii?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

No because the firmware update on the converted region game disc will still be the PAL update.

Patching a PAL game to an NTSC game is only changing the Region Code of the game disc.

12. drtroy

drtroy Member

BBA didnt convert 2.2E but did add duplicate Weather and News channels, if you click any of the duplicates you get an error - this channel can't be used.

Hopefully some clean up tool may come out for orphaned channels?

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Can you delete the duplicated channels in your Wii data management?

Click the Wii in the bottom left hand corner. Then click data management then click on channels. See if the extra news and weather channel is listed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  14. drtroy

drtroy Member

Dunno its my mates, but we had a look, even did the reset with the battery and connect24, format. Still there. Searched on removing channels, you cant remove these particular two apparently. It did have a go though trying to apply the update. 2.2U, rather than saying it couldnt do it!! Although Wii reports 2.2E. Could be a bug when forcing updates over different regions.

15. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

If you don't get the firmware update can you still play online?

16. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

I have a NTSC Wii and I currently have firmware 2.2U which by the current threads should be the latest one and a version higher than the one Mario Strikers PAL, but when I put Mario Strikers in, a box comes up and says "initiating a Wii system update" anyway. Should this come up at all, and if so, is it ok to go through with the update.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You will still get prompt to do an update even if you have the highest firmware installed.

It needs to run at least once to check what firmware your Wii has.

So as long as you have the 2.2U firmware installed except the update prompt.

You would think the game disc would check what firmware you have on the Wii first then prompt for an update if you have a lower firmware then what is on the game disc.

But it doesn't do it that way. It will prompt for the update then it will check to see what update version you have installed. If your firmware version is the same or higher then what is on the game disc it will then skip the update.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  18. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Well, I have the Japanese Wii with Wiikey installed. Anyway, my firmware is already 2.2J. But when I put the disc in, it still prompt to the update and I updated it. After a couple minutes, the update was complete. However, this is the problem: The game loaded on the screen of the up-left corner block, but it was unable to get into the gameplay. Besides that, there have been some duplicates of the climate things and the time zone(The square things that you can select after you turn on the wii)

My question is 1)Lots of people claimed it works on their console but how come mine doesn't work and it is already on 2.2J firmware. 2)How do you get rid of the duplicate weather or climate square things? I have already had the climate or the timezone updated after I updated the firmware to 2.2J. But after booting this game, I just got another duplicate of the climate and the timezone square things. I wanna get rid of them. If you guys are not sure what I am talking about, I could take a pic of it.

19. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Jinkazuya

NTSC(U) Big Brain Academy is not region compatible with your NTSC(J) Wii. That means you will not be able to play it on your Wii.

As to the duplicated Weather and News channel I have no idea how you got the duplicated version of them and do not know how you can get them off. This was discussed in another thread and there was no solution given to delete them.

For further information on what out of region game disc will play on your NTSC(J) Wii go to the below link.

You will want to look under NTSC(U) to NTSC(J) and PAL to NTSC(J) sections to find out what games are compatible with your NTSC(J) Wii.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

20. feod

feod Member

yes, all resent games (in your region) can un-brick your wii....it dose that by updating the firmware to your wii will alow the brick on your wii to go away.

Take for example..you put in SPM PAL and you got a NTSC and you have low firmware. wen you put SPM in and update this will cause you to be bricked since the firmware on your wii dose not match update..the only way way to update is to get a game with later firmware that is your refion in this case that would be a NTSC game..lets say Brain age. updating the firmware with this game will allow you to be unbricked.