1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Dummy needs help w/CDs (.cda and .mp3, .ogg, etc.) please!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dfarm, Oct 5, 2004.

1. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

I have several .wma and .mp3 files I've copied from the original CDs to my HDD. After moving 3 times in 2 years, I've lost a few of the originals (and yes, these are on I PAID FOR) was wondering how to go from HDD back to the closet original format, which I'm assuming is the .cda or .cdda file format and that it has the highest quality and is the best way to go.

So, basically I'm wanting to know what is the best file format to give me highest sound quality. Does the .cda file format/encoder have it the best? If not, which one does.

Also, I have Nero Ultra Edition 6.3, CD Architect, SoundForge, and a friend has some Steinberg? program. I have used Nero before and have fooled around a little w/SoundForge. What's the difference b/w say CD Architect and SoundForge and will/should I use programs like SoundForge and Steinberg to achieve the best sound quality?

I've read some things about PCM (which I'm still not sure what it is), AC3, which from my understanding is the old name for Dolby Digital and is similar to DTS. I'm assuming that these sound formats have to do strictly with DVDs and not CDs, is this correct?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated and sorry if any of the questions sound ridiculous.

2. mjay23

mjay23 Guest

Burn it to CD (compact disc) but you can't go up higher than 41.1KHZ sample rate, 16 bits stereo for CDDA. Use your nero to create the disc, it will sounds just like the original, as long as you ripped the songs/discs to MP3/WMA originally to the highest quality. it will depends on your ripping part for MP3/WMA now as your back up in HD to transfer and burn in CD's (CDDA). but you can't go higher than the that rate for Sampling Rate and bits as mentioned above for Compact Disc. Have fun!

3. dfarm

dfarm Guest

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions.

Basically, I need the best format and one that's going to be around a while, so mp3 sounds good to me, but what about burning them in .ogg, .flac, etc.? What's your take on these issues?

And what about just burning back to .cda since I can also recopy them to my HDD. Do you think this is a better way to go than above?

Any comments on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4. mjay23

mjay23 Guest

As far as music format, If you ask me? I will go with MP3 for the reason of LESS files more space and compatible with newer model DVD Player. But since you've asked about burning it back to Compact Disc (CDDA format) that's why I said the highest quality for it is mention above again Sampling Rate with 41.1KHZ, 16 Bits Stereo. You can however, ripped it back to MP3 file format or even convert it to higher quality than CDDA. It will sound better than Compact Disc, and note that the higher file format for MP3, the higher the file will be. and the other file format you mentioned to tell you the truth I have not heard them :) but since you want a file format to be around for a while, MP3 would be my best suggest or even WMA. All my MP3 collections are ripped to 320kbps, 44khz it sounds way way better than compact disc (CDDA) and all my MP3's are all stored on CD's with file format MP3 that I play on my DVD Player :) so it's your choice to which where you want to back up all you collections/files, it can be HD or CD either or works for me but I like it on CD because I can carry them where ever I go :) so have fun!

5. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Got it! Thanks again...nice to have a place where every question gets answered, and correctly.

6. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

You have to bear in mind that you can never improve the quality of a recording by re-encoding it. Any fidelity (hi-fi = high fidelity) lost through compression can never be regained. (Not without HUGELY expensive recording equipment). You can "tweak" the sound with various audio software, which may make it sound better to YOUR ear.

The moment you rip a track off a comercial CD to mp3 format, you compress the original. If your ripped mp3 is at 320 kbps, you will have compressed the CD original by more than 4x. Lower than 320, even more compression. This is known as LOSSY compression, i.e., with compression you lose quality.

Now, for the average music lover, 320 kbps is probably more than sufficient, although an audiophile would poo-poo this & tell you, you have a "tin" ear.
    Don't let that bother you. What matters is if it sounds good to YOUR ear.

What you want to do is avoid compressing the music file (whatever format it's in) more than it already is. If you want to capture the full original quality of a CD, you need to rip in .wav format. There is no compression in .wav format. As mentioned above, a .wav file will be more than 4x the size of a .mp3 file at 320 kbps.

If you burn to CD in mp3 format, obviously you can get more tracks per disk than if you burn in CDDA (CDDA=Compact Disk Digital Audio), since the burn program expands (but doesn't add anything) when you burn to CDDA.

Also remember, if you intend playing the CD in a standalone player or your car CD player, your player must be capable of playing mp3's, otherwise you have to burn in CDDA format.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  7. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Thanks Frankwm! Mentioning the .wav format w/respect to .cdda and .mp3 is what I was looking for.