1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Big Fish" backup question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DGenerate, Oct 18, 2004.

1. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

I made a backup of [bold]Big Fish[/bold] using DVD Decrypter and Nero Recode 2. It was the first DVD I've done that had DVD data files on it. The burn was successful, but when I tried to play it back, it got stuck in a loop playing the "views expressed in the interviews..." disclaimer before the film. Pressing the "skip" button just made it start the disclaimer from the beginning again.

I managed to get the movie to play by using either of two methods:

1 - Starting the movie using the Chapter Select, or

2 - Pressing the Menu Return button while the disclaimer is looping (and second press of Menu Return brings me back to the DVD main menu).

Anyway, I thought the problem was because of a mistake I made in burning the disc (I had Recode save the files to HD, rather than burn to disc, and then created a new DVD in ROM), so I tried again today. I thought I did everything right, but the exact same problem happened.

I can't think of what I could have done wrong...is this an issue with [bold]Big Fish[/bold], or have I probably done something wrong?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Difficult to say...
    There you go :)
    I recommend DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, and Nero just to burn.
    I paid the Nero people $25 bucks for their MPEG2 codec: now I can author DVDs, but I use it mostly to convert AVIs to DVD.
    Try Decrypter to copy DVD to HD.
    Run Shrink on those files, and remember, it shrinks video only. Audio is copied directly, so remove all extra audio/special features you can.
    You probably don't require the disclaimer in your backup, and I myself would not select it to be included.
    What you are attempting is quite advanced, and so no one has replied because we're not sure exactly what you're doing, I guess...
    But K.I.S.S. my friend,
    for more than that you will need double-layer media ;)
    Regards

3. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

I'm curious as to whether anyone else who has backed up Big Fish has had this problem. I asked a friend of mine about it, and he seems to recall having the same thing happen, but he's not sure...and the lazy sod isn't likely to check for me anytime soon!

I actually tried to disable that disclaimer, but I couldn't find it.

And as for DL media...as soon as I can get it for about $3 - 4/disc, I've got a 10-disc set boxed set that I'd like to back up at 1:1!