1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG problem with PS2 cd tray

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pmax7, Dec 18, 2003.

1. pmax7

pmax7 Member

Hey guys, I have a huge problem with my tray...my tray wasn't working properly on my V4 ps2-it refused to eject. So I dismantled my ps2 about 30 min. ago to see if I could spot the problem (still have it spread out on the table right now). It turns out that it will retract the tray just fine, but for some reason it won't eject. The probem appears to be with the grooves under the tray designed to fit into the white cog that handles opening and closing the tray-for some reason, the grooves on the tray don't appear to be long enough to reach the cog-thus, the cog just spins without opening the tray. I say it's a problem with the length of the grooves because whenever I give the tray a gentale nudge backwards, the cog catches the grooves and ejects the tray fine. If anyone has any ideas or comments, I'd appreciate it. As usual, thanks in advance to all who reply-Afterdawn rocks!

Max

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Your problem may just be down to the 'guide rod' being sticky.....

Mine V4 PS2 did the same - struggled ejecting but retracted OK....then totally refused to eject full stop.....

I stripped mine down and it was down to the guide rod and black feeder bracket being 'gummed' up with crap.....

Gave it a clean with wd40 (solvent cleaner) and light smear with (don't laugh, margarine) and it works like a treat.....

If the cog just spins then I don't see how it could retract it at all.

Check the small bracket that is fitted to the rod, to make sure the little tooth is still there......

Hope this helps....

3. pmax7

pmax7 Member

Pardon me for sounding stupid but...guide rod?? i think I know what you're talking about...the white piece that opens/closes the tray in combination with the two white cogs and adjusts the height of the actual cd drive via engraved lines on the white piece itself, right? If not, please clarify...Thanks again.

Max

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the cog proably broken lol... try to see if theres the cog that moves left and right if it's still there then it's not it... if it's not there then... damn dude replace it lol.... btw check if it's actauly spins aswell lol sometimes they just spin only in one way and they dont eject it....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003