1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big problem

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by luiggy77, Oct 10, 2007.

1. luiggy77

luiggy77 Member

Hi i was trying to install ubuntu, i did everything,i saved the installer in the memory stick,i went to the settings,install os,everything went fine till i swithed to the other os and put the cd and pufffff....my screen turned black and my ps3 shut down.
    Now when i try to turn it on the screen is black and after a few seconds the ps3 turns off.....
    What can i do now......?
    Please help.

2. Jamio

Jamio Member

ok here is what you do:

1) Turn the PS3 on but leave in standby

2) While in standby hold down the power button (on the front of the console) until you hear 2 beeps, or until the GameOS boots.

Now to install Ubuntu do the following:

1) Get your OtherOS files (2 of the) and put them on a Memory Stick

2) Now get your Ubuntu live cd 7.0.4 ISO

3) Use a burner to burn the Ubuntu as an ISO IMAGE (very important, has to be an .ISO Image)

4) Now format your HDD and select "Custom" and "Allot 10GB to OtherOS"

5) Now you can install your OtherOS (Under System Settings)

6) Now run the OtherOS and while waiting for the Linux Kernel to load, insert the Ubuntu Live CD into your DVD Drive

7) Once the Kernel loads it will say:

Kboot:

8) At Kboot: just hit the enter key on your keyboard

9) You will now be at the Ubuntu Live CD "Trial"

10) Now this is VERY important. The installation wont work unless you do this:

Open System > Administration > Services.

Uncheck everything EXCEPT the CPU frequency manager (powernowd), Graphical login manager (gdm) and System communication bus (dbus).

Now you need to

Open System > Administration > System Monitor. Select the Processes tab.

Kill all processes on the list (right click > Kill Process). The ones that are necessary for the system to install will automatically restart or refuse to be terminated.

11) Once you do that (And ONLY after you do that) You can install

12) Now you just click on the install icon on the desktop and follow the on screen instructions

Congratulations after about an hour of installations you will now have Ubuntu on your PS3.

3. luiggy77

luiggy77 Member

Thanks Jamio....i'm sorry to ask but where do i get the OtherOS files a nd the live uburuntu cd....i downloaded before the loader for the uburuntu os,i instelled but nothing appera in my screen..so if you have any precise website where i can get this i will apreciate it...and of course..the live uburuntu.
    Thanks for your time.

4. luiggy77

luiggy77 Member

Ok now i'm in the kboot but when i press enter it says
    /dev/sr0:/ppc/ppc64/vmlinux-ps3:not found
    can somebody tell me what i did wrong? or what i have to do?
    Thanks

5. Jamio

Jamio Member

6. Jamio

Jamio Member

Did you make sure to burn the Ubuntu as an ISO Image and not just burn it?

I did not have that happen at all, as soon as I hit enter it went right to the Ubuntu desktop.

Since then tho I uninstalled Ubuntu and then installed Kubuntu. If you are not sure if you are burning the ISO correctly, feel free to IM me on AIM (S/N is LpDu7).

I would be more then happy to walk you through the process, and if you need it, could send you a read to install Ubuntu Live CD (The exact one I used without any problems at all).

7. luiggy77

luiggy77 Member

Hi Jamio,thanks a lot,actually now i'm writing from my uruntu...lol....now here i have the big questions...how do i get my wireless connection to work in the uruntu os and how can i play my blueray movies..?
    That's the only thing that i'm missing,right now i have only the wired connection....but that sucks...i already did the upgrade...it was like 129 files...but none of them fixed the problem with the wireless connection and blueray player.
    Thanks..

8. Jamio

Jamio Member

Way to go man, glad to hear it.Ok I had the same problem, give this a go:

Also because thats for 1080p, you may have to adjust to your specific needs. This is how you do the adjustments:

Good luck man, hope you can get the wifi going.