1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigpockets UK Taiyo Yudens

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by pieman, Apr 24, 2005.

1. pieman

pieman Regular member

Has anybody in the uk tried the tys from bigpockets yet...are they pukka?Im buying mine from SVP at the mo,but i now want printables non full face which SVP dont have but Bigpockets seem to.Thanks

2. pieman

pieman Regular member

oh, and a source of verbatim 8x dvd-r non full face printables would be nice too!

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

IMHO I'd carry on buying from SVP (is where I get my TYs from too)... BigPockets have been known to have media wrongly labelled before & as such I'd say they were unreliable

4. pieman

pieman Regular member

Thatll do for me.Looks like ill still be using sticky labels for a while yet!!

5. pieman

pieman Regular member

Definately do for me bearing in mind the tossers havent got the courtesy to answer my e mail!!

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I once e-mailed Big Pockets on behalf of a user here & stated who I was & where I'm from etc ... they actually apologized for their Taiyo Yudens not being the real deal .. but stated that their supplier still insisted they were the proper thing [which they definitely were not by the disc code].
    Anyway they stopped selling 'em , but seeing as everyone knows to trust the TY name they seem to have supplied demand (as it were).
    As with all i-net shopping , buy from trustworthy/reputable dealer [always reviews of online stores available via search engine eh].

P.S. I seriously [cant stress this enough] do not believe in adding sticky labels to any disc ... not even CDs.
    You may have playback problems further down the line , even if they do play at the moment. If ya do a search on aD (here) you'll find a thread or two discussing this label topic ; )

7. pieman

pieman Regular member

Thanks herbsman, ive read the discussions re labels for quite a while now, but i must be a lucky sod cos my bad discs are always down to the media and occasionally a software conflict ie:service pack 2.Ive tested dozens of brands with/without labels and the only ones that let me down are brands other that ty and verbatim.However i would prefer to print on disc but cant get the discs i want!!!

8. mattbag

mattbag Guest

Good afternoon gentlemen, if I may I would like to address the issues raised on this thread.

Herbsman in regards to the miss-labelling of dye types that no longer happens, It is my responsibility to ensure all media has the correct dye types listed on them, we use software the read this information from the DVD so unless the software is incorrect then the dye types will be correct.

Pieman I'd suggest against labels, it has been my bitter experience after a while that they can come off, and if they come off whilst in your drive it is very nasty, I’d recommend the new lightscribe technology that will be rolled out within the next few months. For more information on Lightscribe media and drives please visit.

http://www.lightscribe.com/about.aspx
    We have started to sell the media and drives on BigPockets so why not check the prices

Herbsman which email address did you email? Could you please inform me by contacting me at the email in my profile as I would be interested in where the response came from, as I said above all media is now checked regardless of whether it is claimed to be official or not.

I hope this clears matters up if you have any questions or queries just let me know!

9. pieman

pieman Regular member

Welcome mattbag!! with regards to checking the discs you sell for dye codes,i guess you are open to being fooled too!I bought some supposed taiyo yudens from an online supplier that showed as having a ty dye using dvdinfo pro.It was only till i burnt one that the truth was revealed.Only way of checking is the numbers around the hub, but in time i guess that can be faked too.Im limited to only using ty and verbatim (MCC) cos the standard of ritek based dyes are shyte.Started off ok but then greed sets in and next thing you know theyve chucked b and c grade crap on your spindle.Not funny when youve settled on a brand and bought loads.Trouble is most people think that ritek is just the one disc/dye/brand.Its like cornflakes...not all cornflakes are any good...sainsburys shyte...kelloggs good...morrisons worse.Yes theyre all cornflakes but the differance in quality is immense.I dont eat cornflakes any more, i use tys and verbatims!By the way, would be nice if your staff would answer e mails sent to you about the availability of non full face printable tys!! regards.

10. pieman

pieman Regular member

re:lightscribe...only interested if a) doesnt take 30 minutes and b) only if ty or verbatim discs can be used otherwise its pointless

11. mattbag

mattbag Guest

Well hopefully in a couple of months the technology is being released by HP thus meaning anyone can produce the media and the drives.

It is a very exciting time, as for the time to burn the image onto the dvd well that mainly depends on the content of the image, I have heard that it takes 10 mins for a semi complicated design but that has not been verified yet.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Mattbag, i have purchased from bigpockets in the past, but have found some issues with certain types of DVD. I dont want to go into that now, as i have found on the majority of the discs you sell, that they are as described. However, i was wondering whether or not you were thinking about taking the step to becoming an offical Ritek supplier? Two years ago you did supply me with numerous different types of DVD's for testing, and on the whole, they were as stated on the website.

Also, on the topic of Lightscribing, it seems like a lot of hassle to simply label a disc. 10 minutes is a huge amount of time. I cant see the benefit of it over a, say Traxdata, disc with a full printable surface on it....

Chris

13. mattbag

mattbag Guest

Hi Oriphus,
    Well as far as I am aware we are an official Ritek Supplier as far as I am aware.

as for the lightscribe remember how slow CD Burning was when it first came out (I had one of the first recorders.. took HOURS to burn a 74min cd hehe) so my guess would be it would be slow at first but once they have gotten to grips with the technology it should be a Lot faster!

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol, i remember the old CD writers when they came out. I got a top of the range 16r4w4rw right after my 8r2w2rw original.

As for Big Pockets being an official Ritek supplier, im not sure that they are. I believe however, that the majority of their Ritek purchases are from official Ritek distributors. If this is not the case, please update me as my information may be out of date.

Chris