1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions. READ1ST

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elainc33

elainc33 Member

pioruner
    Why on earth would you want to convert a dvd to svcd when all you need is DVD Shrink (free) and then burning program, for example a French program vso Coytodvd which you can get on trial, and maybe if you are lucky get it free - so you can have a good quality dvd to dvd and not dvd to svcd!!!

2. pioruner

pioruner Member

I am coping a dvd that is to big for a 4.7 gb disc. Reason I use dvd2svcd - is I can "compress" the files and rip out the extras so I don't loose any quality for the video. With dvd shrink i loose quality of the picture. I don't actually convert it to svcd - I convert it to m2v files then use SpruceUp to put it back togehter.

3. elainc33

elainc33 Member

pioruner
    Oh I see, I stand corrected!! but you still only have 4.3GB left to put on a blank dvd, so why dont you use the Re-author button on Shrink to get rid of all the unwanted rubbish? I havent heard of Spruce Up before, and dont come in contact with m2v files that often except when ripping from TV and then I use PVAstrumento and then TmpGenc DVD Author. Might give your way a go, but still reckon Shrink is best plus re-author, except when there are subtitles which can be a problem.

4. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Can anyone help me before I delete 700MB movie. I downloaded what I thought might be bin and cue, but instead of having 49 rar files, I seem to have 49 data files, the list looks just like rar files list you get on a downloaded movie but no little winrar icon at the beginning of each file, just a little data box, and the 001 to 049 are not prefixed with an "r" so I cant do anything with them. Either the uploader made an error or there is something I dont know with converting this type of file. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

elainc33: First of all Piracy is no good. Second of all use Winrar, go to file, open archive, change file type to all files and browse for the first file and double click ;).

6. elainc33

elainc33 Member

King D
    Considering you dont like Piracy, I would especially like to thank you, you are brilliant, it all worked fine! Piracy is not so bad if you are just doing something for yourself and this particular movie "Supersize Me" is a sort of documentary about the downside of eating too much junk food so that is my excuse (not that I am supersized) Anyway, thanks a lot again. Elaine

7. Abhiv

Abhiv Member

Hello everybody,

First of all, my thanks to all the contributors for all the useful information.

This thread has been discussing burning .bin/.iso files. I have a slightly different situation. I have some data that I am taking a backup of. I have done logical grouping of the data. One of the groups is about 750 MB, exceeding the 700 MB cd size limit. I know I can fit this data on that cd. But I don't know how. Can somebody advice me on this ?

I am using Nero 6.

Thanks in advance.

8. geaf

geaf Member

Hmm there isn't that much you can do really.
    One thing you say though confuses me...
    'I know I can fit this on the CD'.
    How do you know that?
    If it is a simple mpg movie file then it is indeed very easy to do but if it a collection of various datafiles then....read on..
    Have you tried COMPRESSION?
    Take any/all of the files on the 750MB collection for the cd and put them through winrar on the largest dictionary setting with the most compression possible.
    This will do very little for already compressed data files like mp3, avi, jpeg etc but even on these, sometimes it will be just enough to let you burn to CD.
    I would suggest using overburn technique in Nero but you wouldn't be able to 'overburn' a Cd by 50mb!
    There is another compression program that imo can outdo Winrar, especially with media/audio files. It is called UHARC.
    If you are unfamiliar with this then just google search for winUHA. It is a freeware app and is very simple to use. If after compressing with this, the files are still nowhere near the 700mb mark. Why not just splash out and use 2 Cds !!
    ;)
    Good luck!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Geaf
    http://www.geafworks.tk[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  9. Abhiv

Abhiv Member

Thanks for your response.

> 'I know I can fit this on the CD'.
    > How do you know that?

I had a look at the Win2k/XP OS CDs from the MSDN. In both these CDs, data size is greater than 900 MB but the track size is approx. 500 MB.

They are all data files. Various installs that I would like to run of the CD. So I am not considering the compression option as yet. I can split the data over two CDs. But As I mentioned, data is logically grouped. And since data is just exceeding by 50 MB, I would like to fit it on one CD :).

10. samishra

samishra Member

What you need to do is use CDImage. That is if you have files across directories that are the same like two or three setup.exe files in different folders but the same files. If that is the case, you can use CDImage and intruct it to make an iso file of your folder and put duplicate files only once. That way you save space on the iso image. I have already made for myself a windows 2000 CD which contains Professional/Server/Advanced Server all in one cd and have put in SP4 and also MSOffice and IE6. you could use the dos version cdimage.exe or the gui version cdimagegui.exe. Search google for cdimagegui and you will find a download link.

Hope this helps.

11. Abhiv

Abhiv Member

Thanks for your response. I have downloaded CDImage. I will try creating an iso of my data and will let you know. From your explanation, I have a general idea what CDImage is doing to the data. Basically, if there are duplicate files, only one copy of the data is maintained and both the directory entries point to the same data area. Is that correct ?

Another query. If I use image recorder from nero, it allows me to save image as nrg or iso file. What is the difference between the two ?

Thanks once again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  12. two2coops

two2coops Guest

hi sorry bout this i'v searched the forums and cant seem to find the help i need

problem: i have bin and cue files given to me by a friend and i want to put them to dvd to play in my standalone dvd player BUT theres 2 cds so half the film is on 1 cd the othere half on the other cd

is there any way to join these cd to make 1 continuous film if so can any1 direct me on how to go about it or where i can learn it from a tutorial cheers
    2scoops

13. yohanesko

yohanesko Member

I gotthis game Rome Total war from a friend of mine and it contains 3 files from it which is [bold]CD1 CD2 CD3[/bold]
    each files contains rar files, then I extracted them
    and I got [bold]BIN[/bold] file in [bold]CD1[/bold] [bold]BIN[/bold] and [bold]CUE[/bold] in [bold]CD2[/bold]
    [bold]BIN[/bold] and [bold]CUE[/bold] in [bold]CD3[/bold], so what I do next is using alcohol 120% I mounted the CUE files in CD 2 and 3
    then burn that CUE mounted file into 2 CD-R
    so... next I mounted the BIN file in CD 1 so it does create
    an imaginary CD so that I can install it, and then
    my problem is when it requires CD-2 then I inserted the CD-2 I got from burn the CUE file to continue the installation, I got error message something like make sure you got file "bla bla bla" then it doesn't work.... did I do something wrong/missing in burning
    CD-2? Im really confused, please help me >_<! thanks before!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]^__^ V[/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  14. beybifeyz

beybifeyz Member

please help! i have a problem with my alcohol 120%. i recently downloaded 2 games (both bin files) and their cue files. i am trying to burn it on cd with alcohol. i go straight into the image burning wizard, from there i browse and select the cue file (the cue file and its bin file is in the same directory), i click next, i select writing method dao/sao (which is default), i dont click any other box (except rectify sub channel data which is also by default selected), the i click start. it writes the file on the cd with success. then i look into the cd, its full but no file appears. i tried this on other games and always the same, cd full but no file or directory on the cd. thanks. ps : same happens with nero.

15. MrFrodoB

MrFrodoB Member

hey, ive been reading some of the posts you guys did and i have the problem like many about the 1-50 files with the same name numbered. i got pdx-sesi001 to pdx-sesi017 and a pdx-sesi.sfv and so i did what u guys say and instead of ending with a bin file and cue sheet i got a iso cd image file. i tried programs to convert the iso to bin, but i always get errors. i have used daemon tools, winiso, isobuster, cdmage and maybe some others.. the file is 4.57 gigs its a ps2 game. please help me please please please!

16. elainc33

elainc33 Member

to 2tocoops, sorry if I have got the name wrong and am two weeks late. When I want to transfer vcd or svcd to dvd (there are normally two cds) I extract the avseq files, sometimes the extension is .DAT so I try running it through DVDlab, if that doesnt work, I try Ulead which usually works, (both programs you can add the two avseq files and then chapterise if you want) If that doesnt work, I then change the .DAT extension to .MPG and sometimes this will run with Divx2dvd, or if not I go back to ULead. I do get there eventually!! but quite frankly even svcd are not the best quality.

17. Epoch04

Epoch04 Member

Right, then...does anyone know how I can get a media file to open in a specified player when it auto-loads?...for instance, if I convert a media file to an iso, can I get it to play in a media player other than the default player?

18. stevenup

stevenup Member

Where can I find Iso's bin's or Cue's for Mafia for the pc

19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@stevenup

No asking for pirated material and no multiposting. Read the forum rules.

20. BandNerd9

BandNerd9 Member

Hi. I recently bought The Sims 2...It requires me to upgrade my video card/graphic adapter or whatever. I have a SiS530...I went to this site and I downloaded the upgrading file ... it's a *.bin file. I don't know how to open it to install it? Please help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.