1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.bin .cue novice requires help

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by krust77, Oct 29, 2004.

1. krust77

krust77 Member

Greetings everyone,
    I am inexperienced user of the bittorrent form of P2P file sharing. I have spent the last 24hrs downloading a game that I cant figure out how to work, can anybody help me? The files are neatly broken down into three sections. CD1, CD2 and CD3. When I double click on one it opens to reveal a large list of winrar files and other unrecognised files. If I double click on rar files I have a .bin file and a .cue file. How to I turn what I have into a bootable CD? Than you in advance for any help you can give me.

P.S I have Nero burning rom

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

You shouldv'e looked a bit harder at this CDR section of the forum, you would have seen this link at the top of the list of threads with everything you need to know :http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976 Good Luck :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First, you need WinRAR (read the 'sticky' thread about it, if you need to). If the .RAR archive is file_CD1.rar, it will unpack he .rar file extracting from it two files: a large CD1.bin and a very small CD1.cue.
    If it's an archive split into small parts, you'll have many files like file_CD1.part01.rar... file_CD1.partN.rar and, opening with WinRAR the part01.rar, you can extract the file the whole archive set (yoy'll see inside it the writing 'image_CDx.bin-->').

After all the unpacking, you'll have on your HD, since you told me you have 3 CDs:
    file_CD1.cue
    file_CD1.bin

file_CD2.cue
    file_CD2.bin

file_CD3.cue
    file_CD3.bin

After that, by loading a .CUE of a CD with Nero, CDRwin, Alcohol 120%... you'll be able to burn CDx. The program will load the infos from the .BIN and will knoe HOW to butn them by reading the .CUE (.CUE is simply a text file you can poen aeven with Notepad and is written like (let's suppose you have 2 files: image.cue and image.bin):
    FILE "image.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    The problem is sometime you have written
    FILE "C:\directory\image.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    and therefore, unles the image.cue and the image.bin are in the C:\directory of your HD, you must edit the .cue replacing C:\directory\image.bin by image.bin (which wotks id the .bin is in the same directory of the .cue and should be the default for files you give to other people).

Since the .bin doesn't contain extra infos (e.g. the subchannel data) that might be needed to backup protected discs, I assume the game is unprotected and therefore you can use any application you choose (in Alcohol 120% the setting to choose is 'Normal CD', so Alcohol will not try to load more infos than you have (for example, the Safedisk profile needs also a image.sub file).

4. noobies

noobies Member

hi all..
    i'm noobie as my name shows..but yet..
    my problem is not in .cue's and .bin..these r easy stuff..
    my problem is with .ace..
    i dl 4 .ace files..extracted them usin winace..
    and when i do that..i get some strange file formats..
    like : .PAK .FI .FS .FL..
    strange things..alcohol didn't recognize ny..
    dunno wat to do...can u guys help?
    thanx in advance

5. krust77

krust77 Member

Thanx aldaco,
    I have winrar so thats the first bit out of the way! The bit im unclear about at the moment is the number of pairs of .bin and .cue files I have. There is 30 or so in each of CD1, CD2 and CD3 directories downloaded. Do I need to unpack each pair individually or just the first one?