1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding .VOBs?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Pangy, May 24, 2007.

1. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I'll get right to it. Is there a way to blend .VOB files together? It's pretty easy with .avi and some other formats, but I'm having a lot of problems with .VOBs.

VirtualDub gives me some kind of error message about an MPEG-2 layer, or stream or something, and won't open the .VOB files.

My goal is to have my 10-20 favourite DVDs on my PS3, in excellent quality. To do this, I convert them to mpeg2 (or MP4, I prefer mpeg2). While I can convert .VOB files one at a time, it's kind of dumb that I'd have to watch four seperate files on my PS3 just to get through the movie. So again, I'm hoping there's an easy enough way to just bind .VOB files together.

Thanks in advance

Pangy

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

DVD Shrink.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

Try Mpeg Video Wizard DVD from Womble. It is not free, but it will do a lot for you.
    http://www.womble.com/

4. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Thank you both. I was at a seminar weekend, hence my delayed response, but I appreciate the help.

5. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

K, the farthest I could get with DVDShrink was to make an ISO file. While this does solve my issue of having multiple files, I can't convert it directly to .MP4 because it's not compatible with my converter (RedKawa).

Is there a way to make the .ISO into a .AVI, or .anything-media-related?

I haven't tried the video wizard because I'm a little short on funds right now. I'm really hoping I've done something wrong, and that I can get this working hehe.

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I have the full version of Divx. I got myself the AC3 Filter I was missing, and started the converting, but 7/7 times I got "error 5090", and I can't find that one on their web site. For now, I'm gonna keep checking around forums and hopefully I'll find a way to get my DVD converted as one nice file by the end of the week. :/

If you guys think of anything else, I'd love to hear any ideas/suggestions/anything really :)

Thanks again for the help

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Theres a piece of software called InterVideo DVD Copy'

Essentially it can rip and compress a DVD to any supported format. Stick a dvd in, select rip to .avi, or.mpg4, etc and when it is done instead of .VOB files you will have a .avi/.mpg4 etc.

9. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I'll try it out, and if it works I'll maybe buy it. Thanks. :)

10. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Ok, mission accomplished.

Intervideo DVD Copy gave me some trouble, and I had already had enough trouble from everything else, so I decided not to pursue it.

Instead I went with FairUse Wizard. I got to try the full version at a friend's house before buying it myself. I recommend it while DivX gets Dr. DivX working properly, hehe...

The steps I took were as follows:

-I Made an ISO image with DVD Shrink. I didn't compress anything, so it was like 8 GB in size.

-Using FairUse Wizard, I converted the movie portion of the DVD into an AVI file. I chose to use the English audio track, and no subtitles (you can include whatever you want to, this was just my choice). The nice thing about this software is that it's compatible with many codecs/filters/encoders, and has a very simple way of giving you the advanced options I was in need of.

-After the many hours of conversion, I had an AVI file. I used Red Kawa to convert this to mpeg-2 (I've been doing mpg instead of mp4 lately, I think it's working out better).

-In the end, I have a 1.7GB mpg file. It's loaded onto my PS3, works very nicely, and I think this is the method I'll be using from now on.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ran into some pretty cool software thanks to you all, and I've now got a proven way to get the result I want.