1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bio help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Pat_b_30, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Pat_b_30

Pat_b_30 Guest

i'm pretty new at this but i would extremely appritiate it if someone could help me. what is a bio , what its used for and do i appselutely need one.

2. Pat_b_30

Pat_b_30 Guest

and one more question...how do you install it and do you need dummy files and all that crap

3. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

The bios is the brain of a modchip and it allows the modchip to understand homebrew code such as Evolution X, other applications and of course, backup games. Yes, you absolutely need one.

There is not just one bios, there are several. You need to read up on which bios you need for the specific chip you want to purchase. The newest version 1.6 Xbox systems in stores now MUST be flashed with a bios written for 1.6

Depending on what modchip you have there are several ways to "flash" the bios.

X-B.I.T allows you to connect a USB cable to your PC. The PC must have a Win98se OS otherwise you'll probably crash using Win2000 or XP.

Xenium allows you to flash from CD, USB Flash Drive or Harddrive.

The older chips (Matrix, Xecuter 2.3) were flashed using the LPT port but thoes chips are now obsolete and are no longer in production.

If you're making a bios boot cd then it's a good idea to use the dummy file so the xbox has something to read. If you only have a small bios file ( 256k,512k or 1Mb) the xbox might think it's a blank cd and not find any file to flash to the chip.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004