1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIOS/ Hard drive problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rubixcube, Jun 11, 2007.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hi guys, ok this one's complicated. I have an abit fatality an8 sli with an Athlon64 3500+. I was running vista 32 bit. Was. It all started when I wanted to install the Uguru utility. Then I found out its not compatible with Vista for my motherboard model, so I thought what the hell, I'll go back to Windows Xp, and at the same time I might as well update my BIOS. So I updated my BIOS no troubles at all, then proceeded to install Windows XP. In order to do so I had to delete my partition and create a new one in the windows xp setup. Easy enough. All was well and good until I checked the free space in windows. It said total 185GB, 125GB free. Which as we all know is impossible because a Windows XP installation does not take up 60GB. So I tried again, this time swapping my hard drive to another computer deleting the existing partition and creating a new one in the unallocated space using Norton Partition magic. The partition I created was primary, assigned the drive letter C: and given the maximum size allowable to my drive, 190000~MB. So I put the drive back in my computer, start up the windows xp setup. It says and I QUOTE "DEVICE 0 ID 0 131070MB - Partition 1 C:\WinXP 190000~MB(190000~MB free)" How the HELL can it say my 200gb hdd is '131070MB' ???? And worse, how can a partition of 185gb exist on a supposedly 125gb hard drive (which it is NOT). So I added another seagate 160gb hard drive. Booted into the windows setup, deleted partition on first drive. Get this: Both drives are device0 id0 131070MB, 131069MB unallocated. When they should be 200gb and 160gb respectively. What makes it more difficult is that my BIOS reads both disks, in separate channels, with their correct sizes. I'm super stuck here people, any help would be awesome.
    Thanks
    Rubix

EDIT: I fixed it :) thanks anyway

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your xp did not include sp1 or sp2 did it?

3. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

no whys that?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

need sp1 at least for xp to see past 137gig of hd space. if you had a win98 boot disk then can fdisk & format past that level as i've gone at least 250gig as 1 partition but was fat32 not ntfs.

5. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

oh ok. that's weird. stupid microsoft lol. I ended up just installing xp again and running partition magic to add the rest of the unallocated space on lol.