1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bios recovery help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bagpuss69, Apr 10, 2007.

1. bagpuss69

bagpuss69 Guest

I need to do a bios recovery but am stumped as to how i go about this, as everywhere i look it says about a floppy disk but the MSI motherboard i have does not have a floppy connection on it, the pc is an MSI Mega MPC 800k (SFF Type) i cannot even get the pc to POST i have tried different options including unplugging everything except the mainboard power (20 pin & 4 pin) i have even tried another known working power supply and still nothing i have changed the cmos battery but i am now running out of ideas, if anyone can shed some light on this i would be so gratefull.MSI are of no help whatsoever
    thanks in advance

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Since you don't have a floppy disk drive you could try putting it on a cd or dvd. It should get picked up as long as your set to boot from that drive. I don't think it matters if it's on a floppy just as long as the files are there.

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

OK if you don't see anything when powering on your computer then your bios chip may be finished. You can try http://www.biosman.com/ to get another bios chip or just search for bios chips on the web. Before doing this make sure your board has a removable bios chip, most do. If you can access your bios then set it to boot from the cd/dvdrom drive. BUT 1ST use another computer with a burner. Get your latest bios and utilities from MSI website. You can burn these to a cdr, don't use a cdrw! When you have the disk set up, power up, go to your bios set it to boot from cdrom and reboot, follow the directions, DO NOT POWER down while flashing a bios it's very bad!
    I can't stress enough to read up on this first!!!!!! When you flash a bios and do it wrong it can cost you the use of your equipment!!!!!!

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Try clearing the CMOS first. Pull out the motherboard battery for about a minute, then put it back in, and try again.

You can also try clearing the RTC (realtime clock) by jumping the pins by moving the jumper cap. See you motherboard manual for this option.

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Thanks GrandpaBW you are correct what you said should be done first. Even us old dogs forget things from time to time.