1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado NOT on LAN - Speed Need!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jlrm365, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hello.

I have recently upgraded from a 256K connection to a 1MB connection.

I was getting speeds of 25-30KB/Sec.

I am now getting speeds of 35-40KB/Sec.

I am sure I should be doing better, especially as I can download from Ares at 200KB/Sec.

Looking around for information, all I have found are details about port forwarding that seem to relate to Local Area Networks.

I am not part of one. I have a direct connection and just want to increase my speed.

Are there settings I can change or is there something I can do, to achieve this?

2. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

try changing the default port to something above 43000

:eek:)

3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Ok. I look at the Bit Tornado preferences and see that it gives a range and the "randomize" box is ticked. The number you have suggested is in that range... so I am not sure if that covers what you said or if there is a specific place I have to go to / thing I must to, to change that port.

I also have both the Windows XP and McAfee firewalls up but they don't seem to inhibit Ares or Azureus.

4. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

two firewall together is never a good idea. Drop one, suggest dropping the MS one

5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I have turned it off, through the Security Centre of XP but it still displays as green. Do I need to restart?

When that's done, should there be a speed improvement or, referring back to my earlier questions, do I still need to tweak Bit Tornado?

6. bmusgrave

bmusgrave Member

I have been using Bit Tornado for some time now on a 4mb cable line. I get awesome speeds. (example) I just finished downloading a movie file (1.02g) it took 1hour and 09minutes. usualy running at 380kb/s. downloading trials and suck from their original sights I have seen speeds of 1,024kb/s (adobe premier pro 1.5). In Bit Tornado "prefs" use port range (top line, 10000) and (bottom line 10010). UNCHECK the randomize box, and set the UPnP Port Forwarding to "disabled". Try this out. The highest number I have seen in my Bit Tornado is 600kb/s. So, I know these numbers are possible, maybe these set ups differ from ISP to ISP. I don't know. I am on Insight Broadband which consistantly tests at 3.8mb down and 380kb/s up. and when I really get in a downloading frenzy I upgrade to broadband plus, which I have recorded and posted regular speeds of 5.9mb down and 510kb/s up. Go to dslreports.com and find the most reliable ISP in your area. speed is not always the answer, some may be fast but are unstable. with Bit Tornado, if you lose your connection or your bandwith shrinks, it will pick back up, but is slow in doing so. 100kb/s consantly is better than a 30kb/s to 200kb/s to 30kb/s roller coaster. Good Luck.

7. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Good advice. Where in the world are you based?

I'll let you know what's what when things have stabilised.

You'd just have the one firewall as well?

8. bmusgrave

bmusgrave Member

I have Insight Broadband out of central Illinois. It is great here. I have heard of Insight customers in Indiana and Kentucky having some problems, but not here.

I only use one firewall.

9. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Someone sent me some really good advice, that did what I needed, so Im out of the thread... but thanks.

10. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

The idea of these forums is that we share advice. Please post your solution, so that people in the same situation might benefit.