1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Torrent - "Download Error"

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by v1c_kwan, Apr 10, 2004.

1. v1c_kwan

v1c_kwan Member

I've been using BT for a few months. Recently I formatted my HD. I reinstalled BT Shadow's Experimental and it was working fine. Until recently..
    Whenever I try to dl something it saves the torrent file, then Shadow's Experimental pops up, and then an error message pops up saying "Problem connecting to tracker - HTTP Error 403: Forbidden". It seems like something is blocking me from using BT. I've tried many torrent sites and many different files. Always the same message. I have no firewall setup and no router either. I am using a cable connection. My guess is my ISP is blocking me from using BT. Though I'm probably wrong, but I have heard from a friend that his university campus blocks them from using BT. Any input on this matter? Thanks.

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

what's ur isp, because the same sh!t just happened to me, i'm thinking about trying another torrent program, like bit torrent search or something?

3. gotisos

gotisos Guest

4. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

I use Burst! for downloading bit torrent files. I've have some good luck the past few days. Got a couple really big files. But lately, the torrents I've been getting come back with error messeges. I'm thinking the seeders stopped sharing those particular files. Does anyone know where to get good working bit torrent files? Try Burst! It's fast and works.

5. v1c_kwan

v1c_kwan Member

I tried using Burst! but it also gives me the same error message as I stated in my first post. I tried Shadow's Experimental and Bram Cohen's client and no luck. I'm sure it's not anything to do with no one seeding the file. I clicked many random files and always get the same error message. My friend can download the files that I get an error on, so now I got for got the problem narrowed down to something on my computer. It's either Rogers Cable is blocking me, or software on my computer that is keeping me from using Bit Torrent.

6. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

are you using a firewall? i am using zone alarm and i have to let burst! access the internet. i just got 4GB woth of games the past day. something is not set right on your computer.

7. v1c_kwan

v1c_kwan Member

Well I finally fixed the problem I had with Bit Torrent. If you haven't read my original post, the problem I had with BT was that I couldn't download anything. I would click on a link, save the torrent to my harddrive, and then this error message saying "Forbidden: 403 Error" would pop up each and every single time the client would start to look for seeds sharing the torrent. And NO! The problem wasn't that nobody was seeding the torrent, because I went trigger happy and clicked on a massive amount of torrents fueled by fury. And YES! I did have BT clients, I had had BURST! Shadow's Experimental (Tornado Torrent) and the man we should be thank for to (Bram Cohen's) original torrent client. Also I didn't change any port settings either. I used Shadow's Experimental the most before the problem started. And Shadow's Ex worked like a dream, 150-200kb/s no problem. The problem isn't my ISP blocking me either as I once thought earlier. I don't use firewall either so that's ruled out also. So then uhhhh..."what can it be that is causing this problem???" your guess is as good as mine. I still don't know what lies at the root of the problem. But here's what I did. In a desperate last attempt, I struck out blindly and decided to delete Internet Explorer completely from my computer. The reason for this is that I thought that the problem could be something in my browser blocking BT. Now I know I had Internet Explorer 6 SP1 the newest update. So it's possible that the new Internet Explorer update has security that automatically blocks people from downloading from BT. I'm using Win2k Pro, and maybe the newest Internet Explorers don't work well with Win2k Pro and BT. Either that, or somewhere there's a bug that caused this problem. I'm really not sure. Before you delete Internet Explorer, make sure you download a full install version from somewhere. (I have a backup copy of Internet Explorer 6 the full install which is about 50megs in size.) Because once your browser is deleted, it's deleted, there's no way to get on Internet Explorer to goto Microsoft's website to download another Internet Explorer, because you just deleted Internet Explorer. So don't screw yourself over. Now if you do forget to make or dl a backup of Internet Explorer there is a possible way to browse the net. I tried going to the folder "My Documents". In the folders address bar you should see "My Documents" well replace that with a website address hit enter, and this should work as a makeshift browser. Well it worked for me but might not work for you. Make sure you have a full install of IE to back yourself up. Now to delete Internet Explorer is a very very hard thing to do manually. You cannot just goto the "Internet Explorer" file and delete it. That just won't do. It doesn't get rid of everything. You need to use a program called "IEradicator". Nice name, killer program, download is free from http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html
    Now be warned to save your favorites and your dad's favorites and your wife's favorites, etc., or else you will lose every single one of everybody's precious bookmarked webpages. And if a big computer problem does occur because of you using IEradicator, everybody will be talking about it and you will as feel guilty as hell. Also this program certainly does what its name says. It gets rid of everything, even things that may affect other microsoft programs slightly. For example after using IEradicator, I noticed that my "start menu" "Programs" is different now. Before it would show the most used programs and auto-hide the programs I rarely used. But now it shows everything. I liked it better when it only showed the most used programs. Also when I opened up Windows Media Player 9, it took me to the welcome install screen. So IEradicator also affects other programs as well, but in the computer world many of us know, that one problem inevitably leads to a dozen more :). So in short, if you're desperate to use BT and suffering the same problem I was...it's your choice. Hopefully this will help the very very few others who might have the same problem as I did and can't find any detailed information on how to fix the problem.

8. agm481

agm481 Member

After I have unistalled Iexplore. How can I use windows update?