1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Torrent SuX!! *ARES* Kicks ass

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Brutto89, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Brutto89

Brutto89 Member

I have been reading all this post and everyone is havin problem with Bit Torrent and shit. I mean kazzaa was the best after napster but you get to many virus from it and not the best alternative that I see is Ares its fast and easy interface

2. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

....i thought Ares was a bit torrent client?.....

3. Brutto89

Brutto89 Member

I am not sure if it is but I dont have any probs with the program ARES i mean fast dl times not booted off files and not long wait times

4. wonder05

wonder05 Member

First of all, thats like comparing apples and oranges. Ares, atleast the last version I tried, is a generic run-of-the-mill P2P app as in one person to one person. The various bittorrent apps, on the other hand, are much more community orientated. One has to contribute in order to recieve, but the benefits of such a distribution method are very evident. The speeds are incredible, and actually get better as more people attempt to download the file. Again, apples and oranges.

Just because you couldn't get it to work doesnt mean it 'SuX.' It just means that you are incapable of setting up your internet connection properly, or are to lazy to do so. Over 1/3 of all internet traffic can be attributed to bittorrent downloads. It would appear that most people don't share your sentiment towards bittorrent. Obviously though, because you had a problem with it, millions of people are wrong.

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

I like bittorent but with suprnova gone I doubt its 1/3 internet traffic anymore :(

6. wonder05

wonder05 Member

That may be the case - I don't think there are any relyable stats out yet to prove one way or the other. However, I really think that the reaction to the loss of suprnova, et al. is a little severe. Sure, its sad, and sets a bad precident for the BT community, but it really was more of a symbolic act than anything else. For example, I was a daily user of SN. Within 24 hours of its demise, I had attached to a new mecca of BT filesharing (torrentspy.com for those interested).

7. scott2453

scott2453 Guest

ya that sucks suprnova is gone i used it all the time too. but if you look at it this way since it got shut down, thats just gonna make the other sites better, since more people will be using them instead.

8. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Ares sux. IT has spyware, average download speeds, but there is nothing to download. It took 30 seconds to download "Its a Beautiful Day" (relax I already have it on my PC, I got the $150 U2 thing from iTunes.) Thats not a bad time. However the was only 1 file to choose from. This app has either greedy users, or no users, because it has very limited files being shared.

9. mattF099

mattF099 Member

i was big on bittorrent, but with the "BitTorrent Effect" i am devolving back to kazaa lite resurection. I hope that they could revamp bitorret so that the trackers are located on the sharer computers, and have a searchable interface like kazaa. But im not the one making this stuff, so i guess we have to wait and see what happens.

10. wonder05

wonder05 Member

Actually, such apps are in development. Exeem, a program endorsed by slonek, the creator/maintainor of suprnova, is slated to come out very soon. It is currently in a closed beta. However, I personally don't think that exeem will be that great of an app. It may set a precident (I hope it does) but some of the 'features' Ive seen don't look all that great. For example, it will have an ad system, part of which, if disabled, will result in a non-functioning program.

11. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

....I still don't understand what the big deal was about Supernova shutting down. It would only get new releases after other sites had it for a few days. There was always more leechers than seeders. You guys do know some supernova mirror sites are still up and running fine....