1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit torrents tutorial or help?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by pooface, May 5, 2004.

1. pooface

pooface Member

I have been reading a few posts on speeding up bit torrents and other torrents info. I am quite slow so most of it was completely over my head. If someone wouldnt mind please help me out here. I am pretty sure I am using bit tornado, I click on a file to download and an error message comes up saying they cant find "name of file chosen" and that I should try to search for it. But the download will keep going, it will ask me where to save it, then it will go to what I think is the download screen, I get a yellow light that never turns green, I thought that meant you wouldnt be able to download, but the download starts and I get speeds of around 5 to 7 kbps. My share rating is above 1.000 so I think thats good, its green and has a smily face so it better be good. Im not looking to get speeds above 100kbps, but 25 to 50 would be nice, I routinely get those speeds off irc. I have completely disabled my firewall so that cant be causing any problems, I have a router hooked up to this computer, and I know nothing about routers, what I do know is that this computer is the one that everything works through, I dont know how to explain what I mean, the other computer in the house recieves the internet from a wireless router hooked in to this computer. So what can I do to fix things up, people have said things like change ports and network settings and I have no clue what they are talking about so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  2. ike2010

ike2010 Guest

You are using Bit Tornado. You can download with a Yellow Light. Your router is why it won't change to green. In a nutshell, it means that your router is allowing you access to the outside world, but your server port is blocked. Fixing this will boost your download speeds. Also, remember that there might not be too many seeds to connect to depending on the popularity of your file. This can also cause slow download speeds. Go here: http://bittornado.com/ and read the FAQ. Hope this helps.