1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitlord Bitcomit or utorrent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by brianande, Jul 28, 2007.

1. brianande

brianande Member

Bitlord Bitcomit or utorrent i don't know which to choose from i have a 100mbps connection and the highest i got was 20kbs download spd on bitlord can anyone give me ideas what to do which software to use.

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Bitcomet and BitLord are banned on most trackers. See, Banned Clients.

So among those 3, uTorrent is the only reasonable choice.

I might add, that in Azureus, I block all BitComet and BitLord clients.

3. brianande

brianande Member

so what do u suggest utorrent or azureus.i want to download a 8.5gb file and its taking a lot of time if i keep my pc on for the whole night the maximum i downloaded was 150mb in 1 night do u have any ideas plz

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Both are good. uTorrent is smaller and easier on system resources. Azureus has more options and plugins, but most are not used by the average person.

It is hard for me to say about that 8.5GB file as it could be the swarm, your internet connection or your setup on the client (are you using uTorrent for that?).

Do you have a router?
    Who is you ISP (internet service provider)?

Did you ever run a speed test to see your download and upload ability? you could try this one: Speakeasy.net Speedtest. Stop all internet traffic, including torrents, before taking the test.

Once you know your upload speed, go to Options/Speed Guide in uTorrent and select the listing closest to your upload speed result (rounding down as necessary) and Click the "Use Selected Settings" button at the bottom of the Speed guide window. This should get your uTorrent set up optimally.

I do not know if there is an way in uTorrent to see the average speed of the swarm you are in for the torrent. If there is, this will give you an idea if you are running slow because of the torrent or not.

5. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I am going to throw another spanner in the works and suggest to use Bitcomet. I have been a long time user of Utorrent but have found that setting it up is a pain. So therefore when my cousin suggested Bitcomet i gave it a try and the best thing is all you have to do is install the program and a way you go you do not even have to set up port forwarding for your router thats why i have gone with Bitcomet from Utorrent.

6. brianande

brianande Member

well i think i found my download software thankyou Jeffw224 i think i will use Azureus coz i left my pc on for 5hours after your suggestion and downloaded 375mb way better then bitcomet or bitlord which was 150mb maximum in whole night 10hours+. so plz tell me what to do in that after speed test.

7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

brianande-Good to hear about the Azureus working. I use it myself.

I am going to suggest re-running the speed test. For Azureus, a Java based speed test should be used. The setup after that is easy. At my post Configuring Azureus for Optimum Performance, there is a link to speed tests and a calculator that you input your upload speed into and it gives you proper settings for Azureus.

I would also suggest installing the SafePeer plugin. The SafePeer plugin prevents Azureus from exchanging data with lots of (not all) bad IPs, for example companies that are paid to sniff around or slow down downloads. See my post about installing, SafePeer Plugin for Azureus - Avoid Lots (not all) Bad IPs.

Just for info, you should add a couple of columns to Azureus display. In an empty section of the downloads area of the My Torrents page of Azureus, right-click and choose "column setup" from the menu. Tick "Swarm Average Speed" and "Availability", press "Apply" and OK. SAS will help see if it is the swarm that is slow and how you are doing in relation to it. Availability will show if there is a full copy of the download available in the swarm. If availability is less than 1.0, then the full copy is not available. This can help avoid "bad torrents".

Any Qs, let me know.

8. brianande

brianande Member

hi JEFFW224 i installed the safepeer plugins and it shows IPs:187,611 like u said it would and i also did the speed test the nat light is green but the ratio light is red continously is that a problem

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Ratio is determined by uploaded divided by downloaded. If you have uploaded less than half of what you have downloaded, the circle will be red. Yellow is 0.5 to 0.9, I believe. Green is above that. It is not a big issue since you just started.

You should always try to seed at least 1:1. In fact, under Tools/Options/Queue (expand)/Seeding (expand)/First Priority you should set "A share ratio under" to 1:1. With that setting you pretty much have to nothing to get the ratio right.

Once you have uploaded up enough the ratio circle will turn green.

If you double-click on the Ratio circle, it bring up the transfers tab of statistics and this will show your "Session" (since you last started Azureus) and "Total" (since you installed Azureus) downloaded/uploaded totals in MB or GB.

I do not know if you used the calculator to adjust settings, but if you have not you should. This will get you the best download speeds.

10. killalot

killalot Active member

I use bittorrent what’s your views on that used it for a wile now some times its fast other times its slow any ideas its set up correct

11. brianande

brianande Member

first of all many thanks to JEFFW224,i used the speed settings like u told to with calculator n the plugins are also installed i think i like it this way its got a better download speed now i can download a bigger file within few days thanku very much.To killalot for ur information bittorent was the very first software i used n it was i the slowest of all the software i used till now my suggestion like JEFFW224 suggested me use utorrent or azureus.

12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Good to hear brianande. You are well set up in Azureus. Nothing more to do, unless your ISP starts messing with P2P.

Enjoy those files.

As far as the BitTorrent client, it is pretty outdated now.