1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitrate Bitrate Bitrate

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by galpro, Dec 30, 2003.

1. galpro

galpro Member

I have been burning dvd's now for about 3 months. I have had little problems. However lately I have been running into the bitrate problem. I have searched but I cannot find a straight answer.
    I have the dvd ripped using DVD Decrypter, shrunk it using DVD shrink when I burn it (with Copytodvd) locks up when I watch it. I tried just movie with TMPGEnc DVD Author and it says bitrate too high. I have tried it with T3 and gangs of ny. How do I fix the bitrate of the VOB files? Must they be converted to mpeg to do this? I want to keep the menus and special features, can't do that if I convert to mpg. for instance in TMPGEnc DVD Author Gangs video bitrate is 1902 max is 1900, not much of a difference but it still locks up at chapter 5.
    Please help...been frustrating me for a week.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I had the same problem with TMPGEnc DVD author, bitrate too high. Then the program gives no solutions!
    Trying to keep menus is impossible, you have to make your own because of changing aspect ratio between the menu, special features and the main movie.
    My solution? Decrypt with Decrypter in file mode, then compress and burn with Nero Recode 2. It lets me keep everything and the quality is very good.
    That TMPGEnc is useless for backups.
    Just an opinion,
    Frank

3. galpro

galpro Member

OKay Answering myself here
    It was not the bitrate it was copytodvd
    The old version worked fine, I upgraded last month and that is when I started getting different errors. Reinstalled the update for one error then all "media unwritable". I thought it was the new pack of memorex dvd-r. Even the iso created and burnt with alcohol locked up.
    Anyone having a problem UPDATE copytodvd 2.3.10.3. Everything works fine now and gangs and T3 work great. Even if the bitrate is too high

btw Thank you fasfrank for responding to my post

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hey Frank,

you said:
    and
    Just to clear up some possible confusion..

TMPGEnc is the media ENCODER
    TMPGEnc DVD Author is the AUTHORING program

The two are different programs, with different purposes.

I am working on the "bitrate too high" problem, and will be able to provide a solution in the near future.

I agree they are no good for "Backups", but that is not what they were designed for, they ARE very good if they are used as intended.

Just my opinion.

Have Fun...