1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitrate

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mav1, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Mav1

Mav1 Member

So what is the bitrate value iam looking for, on a 42in tv before artifacts start appearing (or when you start noticing bad quality). I know that such a value can not be precise, but i would like to know what sort of value iam looking for.

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

I have used CCE and HCEnc and have had them both as low as 2700 bitrate and it still looked good on 32" LCD. They also look pretty good on my 50" DLP. I think it really depends on the video source and what encoders you use.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

I have to agree with dizzyduck. It is an individual thing. I use CCE and VBR setting, it sometime show low bitrate as 1800 and when playing on 32" LCD I see no difference from original.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  4. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Just remember Mav1, a good encode will take a while, in upwards of 2-4 hours depending on settings. But if quality is important, it's worth the sacrifice.

5. Mav1

Mav1 Member

Thanks for the advice guys. What about using shrink, at what bitrate value will a notice the difference. If a can get away with it, I rather use shrink with aec than re-builder because re-builder takes so long. If a know the bitrate value then i can switch to rebulder when i have to. I asked about viewing quality on a 42in because at the moment I watch my dvd's on my 19in lcd. I don't have a 42in lcd yet but iam planning to get one in the future. Once when i used rebuilder with hcenc at medium quality it messed up and created bad artifacts.

Just wondering, if you can have good picture at bitrates at 2700 and 1800. Why are bitrates so high on dvd's in the first place?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

My advice to you would be don't worry about the bit rate to much. Instead use this as a rule of thumb.

In DVD Shrink keep the compression to 85% you will not notice much if any difference in play back.

Use rebuilder if you have to compress more than 85%.

Do as I would do if compression is to low burn to a Dual Layer disk.

I normally wont go under 90% in Shrink if it is under 90% then I just burn to DL because I to do not have the patience for Rebuilder :)