1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bitsetting (set booktype) in Nero

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by piikea, Apr 10, 2006.

1. piikea

piikea Member

I tried following the tutorial at booktypefaq.com but
    at step 5. Then click on "Options", then on "Book Type Settings", set to "Automatic" and click "OK" - [bold]there is no[/bold] "Book Type Settings" option (under express or burning rom).

Any idea why? It's Nero 7 (6.3 & above supposed to have it.)

(Reason for doing it is attempt to "trick" my standalone into playing dvd+r dl disc's (I burned one previously which it wouldn't play but it played fine in other people's standalones I tried it on.)

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Not all drives are capable of booktyping, therefore, this option may not be available to you if your drive doesn't support bitsetting.

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Another place to booktype in Nero - go to Nero Toolkit>Nero CD-DVD Speed. Click on extra than bitsetting.
    Like LOCOENG advised your drive needs to be capable of this.

4. piikea

piikea Member

Thanks binkie7, I did find it there but it was "greyed out" so I suppose that means the drive (Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1633S) isn't capable.

I thought there was a way to "flash" (or somehow) alter the drive itself.....am I wrong?

5. LOCOENG

6. binkie7

@piikea
    I have a Liteon and when I initally set Nero I had a blank +r disc inserted.
    For the utility LOCOENG links to - to change the booktype you will need to have a blank disc inserted. I only use the utility when burning w/ a prog that doesn't booktype.

7. LOCOENG

Good point Binkie...a gold star for you...LOL

8. binkie7

Yippee a gold star :0) txs LOCOENG :)

@piikea
    Almost forgot - if you have more than 1 drive pick the one that's booktypes in the drop down in Nero CD DVD Speed.

9. piikea

piikea Member

Thanks all.....I used utility LOCOENG provided link to & set it to DVD-ROM (had a +R disc in!) but in Nero the booktype option still isn't there (under cd-dvd speed w/ dvd+r dl disc in it reads -
    current disc type: dvd+r dl
    current book type: dvd+r dl
    but drop down AND set buttons are still greyed out).

Not sure if once the [bold]drive[/bold] bitset is changed you [bold]still[/bold] need to make a change in Nero too?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  10. binkie7

@piikea
    You'd use either the utility or Nero.
    I am puzzled though why those options are greyed out in Nero - the only time I see them greyed out is when I pick a drive that doesn't support booktyping and your Liteon does support it.

11. LOCOENG

One way to find out is to burn a DVD and then run it through CD/DVD speed and see if it tells you it is a DVD-ROM.

12. piikea

piikea Member

I'm puzzled too! The Lite On utility has 3 boxes on the bottom -
    1. Write Now!
    2. Change
    3. Query
    I click change, it tells me "booktype changed successfully" (there is also a small "save setting" checkbox which I click on but it won't put a check there?). The Write Now! box STAYS greyed out.

I tried a video_ts folder in dvd shrink & got to where the booktype setting option was & it was greyed out too(?).

Other info I found only confuses matters -
    Why does Nero 6 get confused with the booktype?
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=634187#post634187

Nero 6.6 - booktype setting *unveiled*
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112860

In Nero there is also under options: "write extended lead outs on double layer discs" which was unchecked. I checked it but it didn't fix the greyed out issue.

I ONLY have 1 DVD+R DL & I KNOW it won't play in my standalone if not burned as DVD-ROM (& then it's only "possible.") I'm holding off for now but will probably just have to burn it & see.....a pricey experiment!

Thanks!

13. binkie7

@piikea
    Very interesting links!! I guess Nero has something against LiteOn?
    I'll have to try the registry bit later.
    For the Utility I use it every time I use CloneDVD and am booktyping.
    Open utility - change booktype - receive sucessful then proceed w/ CloneDVD. I've checked and they show as DVD Rom. The 'save setting' and 'write now' are also greyed out on my end.
    If you using a dual layer why not try ripping and burning w/ dvd decrypter? Rip in iso mode then burn in iso mode picking the mds file.
    Decrypter will booktype the disc to DVD Rom if you pick that option.
    I've used Decrypter also to booktype.

editted to add: the query in the utility can be used to check the format of the disc - will show if the booktype was changed.

14. piikea

piikea Member

I'm thinking maybeit is changing the drive & Nero just isn't showing it.
    I looked into the registry bit a little but am not knowledgable enough to risk messin' w/ it!
    Can't go the iso/dvd decryptor route because I am FAT32 so the iso's file size would be bigger than the 4 GB max. (It's a 7.5 GB torrent of taper-friendly musician so made up of smaller "pieces" in a VIDEO_TS folder.)
    When I give in & burn it I'll check it & post if it came out DVD-ROM. I just hate risking my only disc!

15. binkie7

@piikea
    Let us know how it turns out either way!
    When I use the Liteon booktype utility - I leave it open - I don't exit the utility until the burn is done.

16. piikea

piikea Member

I may not be able to burn it after all. Haven't used Nero in a few weeks & haven't changed anything (except the utility thing) but when I get to "add files" in CD or DVD it will never bring up the window showing files to add (even after restarts).
    The utility shouldn't really have anything to do w/ that but I've not had this prob before....not sure whats going on.....

17. piikea

piikea Member

I re-installed the partition that nero was on from a Ghost image & it will now bring up the add files window as it should but alas, it only loads 111 MB before telling me the "disc is full."
    This project seems doomed from the start. Nero is by far the worst program I've ever dealt with.

18. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

I am having the exact same problem. Right now I have the most updated version of Nero (7.0.8.2). When I try to follow the instructions for doing the booktype, there is nothing there. All it says is "Power-burn" and "DVD high compat........" and they are both checked. I also see them greyed out in that other part. I have a Sony DU1612. I always get sony because of the quality and to avoid problems such as this so I wont be happy if I find out this drive doesn't have the capability that others do. I've tried to research if this drive is capable of doing the booktype and I will be very surprised if it can't. What do you think about this? Thanks in advance.

19. piikea

piikea Member

Not sure about booktyping your particular drive. I suspect if you do booktype it, nero may not recognize it(i.e., settings will still be greyed out) but it WILL be booktyped.
    As I posted earlier, as usual, nero would not even load my project so I booktyped w/ the utility & burned w/ no problems using Gear DVD standard. As LOCOENG suggested:
    I did & it WAS booktyped DVD-ROM.
    Sorry this doesn't really help you because I couldn't actually test it using nero. Also booktyping depends on your drive's capability which I don't know & not sure how you'd find out. Hopefully others here can help you.

20. binkie7

@Viper3
    If your drive is the Sony DDU-1612 the oem is LiteOn so you should be able to booktype with the LiteOn Utility. (link above). It's also why Nero isn't giving you the booktype option in 'options'. With my Liteon I am able to booktype in the cd-dvd speed in Toolkit though I have to reset it evertime I restart. For piikea's model it's not shown in either place.
    Try inserting a blank +r disc then try the different ways in Nero to booktype. If that doesn't work then the utility should.