1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bitsetting (set booktype) in Nero

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by piikea, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

I got the software and it reads my DVD burner drive, but where I can change the book type is "greyed out" when I put blank memorex media in there. Now what?

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Viper3
    Hmmm here's a few suggestions:
    -Using a +r/rw disc right?
    - click 'query' and see if the option to booktype is no longer greyed out
    -Memorex - not the best by far - but as long as it's a +r and your drive recognizes should be able to booktype w/ utility. Is your firmware up to date?

3. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

I am using Memorex DVD+R. I dont see where you click query, but from where I went before, it is still grayed out and also doesn't give me option in options. I also tried doing this in DVD decryptor and when I click 'Next Write' for Lite-On, it says "Unknown (FAILED!)" under current settings and is grayed out for "New Setting". I'm not sure how to update my firmware. Right now I have "1.0d" and I saw something about DYS1 and DYS3. When I got DYS1, it was just an .exe that I ran and I thought that should do it acording to readme.txt but it still says FW 1.0d.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  4. binkie7

It's sounding like your drive doesn't have the capability to booktype. Decrypter is a no fail booktyper for me with the LiteOn.
    Firmware is kinda wacky too. I don't see a 1.0d listed anywhere for this drive.
    In Nero go to Toolkit>Info tool. What is the full make and model of the drive listed there? (if you have more than 1 you may have to choose the sony one) Also what does it say in the firmware version field? (drive tab)

5. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

I made a mistake for the model number. I have a DDU1612, but thats not even a burner. I should have said Sony DVD RW DW-U14A and firmware is 1.0d.

6. binkie7

Ah - well I miised it too - I saw 16x/48x (thoughtdvd burn speed 16x)on the 1612 and oem Liteon but failed to see the dvd-rom bit in google.
    From what I found Sony is the actual oem of this drive and it does not support booktyping. So that's why nothing is working to booktype.
    Looks also to be an older drive - max burn speed is 4x.

7. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

Heres the thing...When I followed the instructions for trying to rebuild a DVD, I actually did it for a PS2 game that was already on DVD5 since I dont have any games that are DVD9. I figured it shouldn't be a problem but I wanted to experiment for when/if I get a DVD9 to see if I could get my PS2 to play it. My ps2 can normally play all DVD's without a problem. The only exception to this is rewritable DVD's (and not sure about CDRW). So could I actually make it read DVDRW's if I changed the book type with a drive that was capable to DVD-ROM or something? So anyway, when I try and play the rebuilt version of a DVD5 game which went from about 4.2GB to 2.9GB, it wont work. Do you think my drive is definitely not making this work because of the DVD-ROM thing even though my PS2 can read my other DVD5 discs fine? Thanks.

8. binkie7

@Viper3
    Maybe if your booktype the +rw the ps2 would read them. I haven't backed up any games only movies. My ps2 can be a bit picky when it comes to playing them. The booktyped ones so far never had an issue w/ the ps2. Now the dl discs - for your ps2 to play them I would think your best bet is to booktype them.
    Since I haven't done any games I can only guess but the rebuilt game not playing is probably not a drive issue but something else. For that you may want to try the ps2 forum.

9. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

binkie, are you saying oem drives dont support booktyping? Also, I tried backing up a movie and when I play it on my ps2, it doesn't play right. The menus and everything are there, but it's just sketchy when I play, like all the square markings will appear and it will freeze/unfreeze during scenes. Is this more due to the fact that ps2 is bad dvd-player, or just that it wasn't booktyped DVD-ROM? Also, it works fine in my PC DVD player. I was also wondering if I were to get the Sony DW-G120A instead, would I then be able to booktype, even if it was oem?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  10. binkie7

@Viper3
    It depends on who the oem of the drive is on the booktyping bit. Some have this capability while others do not.
    The one your looking at is made by Liteon which their drives made in the past 2 years have booktyping ability.
    What's weird though is when I check the drive where it would normally say bitsetting (booktyping) it's not listed as an option. In a quick search I can't find the liteon model # to double check. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...m=&dvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Search=Search
    My experience w/ playing movies on the ps2 - is it's picky. Mine likes a lower burn speed 4x but I usually burn at 8x or higher on good media (Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim) and most not booktyped. Some play great, some don't.
    I think your issue w/ playback is the media (memorex) and possible burn speed.

11. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

Well, I was thinking of getting a dual burner so that I could use DL DVD's but after realizing that I dont need this and I can simply do the method described in this forum to backup DVD9 games to DVD5. I think I do want a DL though, and I would like it from Sony. My question is (since I dont see to know how to look it up) what Sony DVD burner would have the book type ability? I dont even know whats considered good anymore since I've been out of the loop for so long, but I would like a Sony DL burner which can support book typing. I'd be willing to spend around 100 bucks (maybe a little more). Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  12. Viper3

Viper3 Regular member

I was looking around at other burners, and I think it's time to realize that I dont "have" to get a sony drive. What do you guys think about the BenQ DW1655?

13. binkie7

You should be good with the BenQ 1655 - it does support booktyping. Members love the BenQ (certain models - think 1655 is one of them). I use videohelp.com to check on a drive capabilities and the oem. Pretty useful site.
    Here's a link from that site on the BenQ. You notice under 'connection buffer, bit' bitsetting (booktyping) is listed.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...m=&dvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Search=Search
    If you're in the US you may want to check out http://newegg.com for prices on the drive(s). They are usually very good.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Did find a little difference in these Burners other then the LightScribe,1 does only +DL...If given the choice!Which one would you take?Need a little help here..No big price difference both are under 40bucks
    Not sure if I'd ever use LightScribe,prefer printed surface
    Probably will never use DL unless they get as low as reg DVD's for burning

DW1655
    - LightScribe - Uses a laser to print directly to disc
    - DVD+R(16x) +RW(8x)
    - DVD-R(16x) -RW(6x)
    - DVD+R DL (8x)
    - CD -R(48x) -RW(32x)

DW1650
    - DVD+R(16x) +RW(8x)
    - DVD-R(16x) -RW(6x)
    - DVD+R DL (8x)
    - DVD-R DL (4x)
    - CD -R(48x) -RW(32x)
    Myself personaly I prefer DVD-R's,but do have the occasion to use DVD+R's.But to date have not had the ability of booktyping.Don't really know how much longer these older Players are going to function..Just can't figure why the DVD- which set the standards,always seem to be behind in speed,but play well on all players.Although I've heard that DVD+ when burned will last longer[PROS & CONS only time will tell]..although 4x at the cost of these new DL Disc's seems a safer bet for burning

15. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Since you aren't concerned with DL capabilities I would go with the 1650, it is around $10 cheaper than the 1655. On the other hand if you get the 1655 you would have the ability to burn lightscribe discs if you ever want to try them out.

16. binkie7

I'd go w/ the 1650 too. I prefer the inkjet printables over the lightscribe. With the 1650 you get -r dl too.
    Yep time will tell on how on long these last - so far I have some -r's 3 years old or maybe a little older - still okay. But 3 years really isn't long of a test!

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks people..your advice is appreciated.NOW what do U feel is the better Disc + or - ? Lately I've been reading that +'s give U a better burn,and in all probability will last longer..I've also read that burned DVD's will probably out last the Hollywood stamped 1's because of the type of surface of the DVD
    No that I have definately learned my lesson on media & only use Ty's,Ritek,Verbs.I buy enough to go from sale to sale & free shipping,so as to keep the cost at .30 or lower AVERAGE ABOUT .28..Sellers seem to make more mistakes [on purpose I think] with Verbs,I order printed surface & get plain 1's,although they are Verbs.About 1 in 3 orders..to expensive to send back..Wait I take that back..it's the mfgr.Rebates,I get silver,but advertised is printed,twice this has happened [JUST VENTING]

18. binkie7

Ahh the ole - or + debate. +R is said to be superior and the other advantage is booktyping.
    I use both though mainly -R. Reason -R is cheaper in the printable ones.
    Which is better I guess time will tell :)