1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittorent: possible to stop sharing? & bittorrent alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by pogi, Apr 21, 2004.

1. pogi

pogi Guest

my isp disconected me two times and i had to call thier customer service to beg them to recconect me. basically theyre slapping my wrist for using bittorrent, and since i use bittorrent i am to them considered as a 'server' since i am forced to upload cunks of the file im downloading.
    unfortunately i cannot switch ISPs since they monopolize the area im at. so im forced to play by their rules.
    so i figured if i used a banwidth limiter like 'netlimiter' amd restrict uploads to 1KB that my isp would ignore me. but sure enuf they diconnected me again that same night. netlimiter wont let me go to 0KB or block all uploads.

so my question is: is there a torrent client that allows you not to share at all or upload? and if not is there a bandwidth limiter that can stop all uploads from the torrent client?

if still there is no such thing im gona have to stop using bittorent, and so far its been amazing for downloading Anime which is all im really after. Is there another good way of downloading anime thats comparable to the efficiency of bittorrent?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well for one, to stop your uploading sounds like a very selfish way to do things, the ultimate leacher.

Try changing the ports your client uses. Most are set by default to the 6881-6889 range... this is where most ISP's will be monitoring.

Common ports ranges of various apps:
    411 through 413 - Direct Connect
    1214 - Kazaa
    4662 - eMule/eDonkey
    6346 through 6347 - Gnutella
    6881 through 6889 - BitTorrent

Try using ports in the 49152-65535 range.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Use IRC, dont have to run a server then!

4. pogi

pogi Guest

what's the best channel on IRC for anime? so far ive been using bearshare, pretty slow but its better than nothing =)