1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittornado Newbie

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Maestrono, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Maestrono

Maestrono Guest

I recently downloaded Bittornado and have been reading every tutorial on the web for about five straight hours trying to get it to give me the speeds I know I can get. The story so far:

Right off the bat I had issues with BT getting through my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro). I uninstalled ZAP and instead setup the firewall in Windows XP.

Bingo, BT works (green light and all), however with my DSL connection I should be getting great speeds and I'm not. With one file that had 50 peers and 15 seeds, I couldn't download faster than 45Kps.

My next step was to try and mess with the ports and this is where I start to question what I'm doing. Some of the tutorials say to switch the default ports in BT to 6881-6999 while others specify wider ranges. So my first question is what range is truly the best? There is also a randomize function in BT that corresponds to the port configuration. My second question is, should I have that enabled?

The third (and most confusing piece) is regarding the firewall. I also apparently need to open up ports in the Windows firewall to get things to work optimally.

Do I:

a. Open up one port (some tutorials say to open up port 6881 only)
    b. Open up a few ports (some tutorials say to open up about 20 ports)
    c. Open up 118 ports since the difference between 6881 and 6999 is 118?

I'm concerned because everytime I open a port it's like poking a hole in my firewall.

My LAST question regards the upload configuration. Should I set the upload parameters so that it is "unlimited", and if so, do I need to mess with the "upload rate" or the "max uploads" numbers?

Dude, if someone can answer all of these questions and get me cruisin' I'll give you my first born!

Thanks...

2. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

1. get azureus

2. don't bring back zonalarm but disable windows firewall - its sh*t

3. get mcafee firewall

4. 6880-6899 - i use those portz & get full speeds

5. set your max upload speed to about 3-4kb below your actual maximum, then it won't impede your downloads or site surfin.

i want that first born gift wrapped :D

3. Maestrono

Maestrono Guest

Thanks for the response!

If I'm sure what my absolute max speed should be, what would be the best setting to use?

Also, being that the ports you opened up are common ones to open for this situation, doesn't that give a hacker a better shot at compromising your system?

p.s. I'll mail him her to you on Dec. 25th!

4. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

a hacker? not really, you still have a firewall stopping someone from accessing your system - ive never been attacked by a hacker and by the way - their not the common ports for this situation, if u look carefully everyone uses 6881-6999
    im only using a bear fraction of that amount

if your sure what your max speed would be then do it about 3-4 below your maximum upload speed