1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittorrent: download & upload freeze

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Revolutio, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Revolutio

Revolutio Guest

Hi guys, I'm new & i'm itlian, so sorry for my english. :)

My problem is about bittorrent. I used first BT++ and now bittornado. In all this clients, after about half an hour of sharing, they freeze. You can see upload & dowload rate blocked.
    I've not firewall and no router connection; i don't know what to do.

Could anyone suggest me anything to solve this problem, please?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005
  2. necronite

necronite Member

I wish I could help you but i have the identical problem. :(

3. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

Download ABC, the colour of the writing will change which usally tells you the problem. The torrents you are downloading may turn blue which means no one has the full file (whichcould explain why your download stops). If its orage and stays orange(for at least 10 minutes, always starts orange) you are behind a firewall. If its red then the torrents dead. If its green(will turn green after a while if no firewall) then all is fine.

4. necronite

necronite Member

bit tornado has the same status light indicators.

what happens with my dl is that it goes really fast, and then freezes up. It's not done, and it's green. There are plenty of seeders. When I check Task Manager performace just after the freezer, the graph for CPU goes from like 4-5% and then immediately to 100% and doesn't come down until I manually kill the process.

When I restart the torrent, it starts at red, goes to yellow, goes to green and then the freeze invariably happens again after 1/2 hr or so.

I have only had this problem for the last week. I don't know if it's my PC or the program. I will install BT on another more stable PC to see if the problem reproduces.

5. edjanx

edjanx Member

I also have the same exact problem both of you describe. This happens on both versions 0.3.10 and the 'stable' 0.3.7. I really like this client (it's not a resource hog) , so I hope that someone can ccome up with a solution. Thanks!

6. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

thers bittornado v3.9 out now and doesn't seem to have the problems described here

7. ecstatica

ecstatica Member

i use to get that problem all the time
    in bittornado try this it worked for me
    click on preferences , then advanced .. then Max peer connections set to 60 ... click ok then save then try again .. it shouldnt lock up once that is done

laters

8. egreen24

egreen24 Member

i definately agree... do what he says... he's right... i had files that would DL for about 2 minutes and lock up... i did what he said and its been smooth sailing since... thanx for the tip... listen to this man... he's a genius =)

9. necronite

necronite Member

i seem to be constantly having problems with optimum online. my current problem is that the cable connection quits after 1/2 hour or so. It just slows to zero bandwidth and then starts up again it does this all the time. Do you think it's a hardware problem (this is a new modem) or is it possible they notice I am doing a lot of downloading and are trying to get me to stop. I have heard OOL condemns file sharing. Maybe this is a tactic they are using to try and stop it.

10. necronite

necronite Member

well sure enough that's what they're doing. I called tech support and they said that they think I am infected with spyware because they detect a lot of uploads. and BT needs to upload. Customer Service told me for *most* customers the bandwidth returns after OOL Security contacts me for more information. It sounds like the Gestapo to me. I guess you all know by now that LokiTorrent just got shut down. :( R.I.P. Well I as considering telling them that I do use BT but for TV only. TV is free, you just need a television, right? I do DL a lot of broadcast TV so that's not a complete cover up. I prefer donwloading TV than videotaping. It's really just a preference now, and I am paying for the broadband anyway, so I figure I might as well use the bandwidth.

11. MrPenguin

MrPenguin Member

"i use to get that problem all the time
    in BitTornado try this it worked for me
    click on preferences , then advanced .. then Max peer connections set to 60 ... click ok then save then try again .. it shouldnt lock up once that is done

laters"

Just a note, this can also be done on ABC, since it's based on BitTornado.

I had this problem, fixed by this thread. Now I can download my musi..er...."Linux ISOs" without resetting every 2 minutes :)

12. ecstatica

ecstatica Member

your welcome happy to help :)

13. necronite

necronite Member

jsut to follow up on my post. I finally talked to my ISP security dept and they told me that I was automatically throttled from high uploads. with tornado i was super seeding because I felt guilty about leeching so much. And so they restricted me for massive uploading, After we talked and told them I wouldn't upload constantly anymore, they removed the restriction.