1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BitTorrent kills my internet: quickly, mercilessly, and at low speeds . . . wtf?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by D_C, May 12, 2007.

1. D_C

D_C Member

Whenever I start a download in BitTorrent it will ramp up for a while (slowly), reach about 500b/s, and kill the internet . . . all the internet, such as MSN messenger, browsers, BitTorrent itself . . .

I've read some other topics about how this is about a bad router, but here's the thing: It used to work. I had a static ip, a forwarded port, a fully configured client (Azureus BitTyrant), and it worked great and I was getting consistent speeds of 250+ kB/s. But now it isn't, even with all those settings as they were previously. The Azureus connection test OK's these settings as well.

The only difference I can see is that I had it running on WinXP Pro before, and now I'm trying to run it on XP Home. This was because of a bad experience with Vista, ironically, a router problem. I'm only using Home until I can download a torrent of Pro. A bit of a paradox . . .

I've tried this with multiple clients and torrents, to no avail. Always the same problem.

Here's some information about my setup:
    Client: Azureus BitTyrant ver.2.5.0.0
    ISP: Verizon DSL, maximum speed plan (3 mbps)
    Router/Modem: Westell Versalink
    Computer: Turion 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, connected wirelessly through a Broadcom integrated WiFi card

2. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hmmmmm.....(thinking...)

Can I ask, how long ago was it that you installed Windows XP Home?

And things like "I'm only using Home until I can download a torrent of Pro. A bit of a paradox . . ." can be kept to yourself.

Why?

Well piracy here at AfterDawn is not allowed, so try not to mention things like that, just keep it to yourself, or pretend you are buying a copy rather than downloading one.

BluRay

Last edited: May 13, 2007