1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittorrent sucks all the bandwith on the network

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by stevedemo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. stevedemo

stevedemo Member

I have high speed cable internet on a wireless network and i use bit comet to download and when something is downloading even though it isnt coming in fast our internet acts like it dial up on explorer windows. Is there some kind of setting i can change or what.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Thats weird. I left most of the things on default and don't have that problem. Is the slowdown happening because you have a lot of upload connections going and are giving a fast upload speed?

3. Steveis

Steveis Member

Like Balaam says - it could be that your upload is interfering with your 'ack' packets - those are the acknowledgement packets that are sent to confirm you have received part of the file. Limit ULs to 80% of your speed.

On the other hand, I've tried the original BT client (with basically no settings) - up to Azureus (with too many settings!) and they all have one thing in common - they they like to hog bandwidth AND the CPU. Some are worse than others - Azureus slows EVERYTHING down, Bitcomet might too.

In other words, it might be your computer that is slowed down, not your connection.

Steve

4. stevedemo

stevedemo Member

The other computer that is hardwired to the router gets like no speed when im downloading. I can try to limit my uploads but i heard something that download speeds are limited to uploads speeds. Im not sure what it means so i just let them as they are. Thanks

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I've tested quite a few BT clients out, and BitComet uses the least amount of CPU resourse. Especially compared to Azerus(which is why I use Bitcoment instead of Azerus).

To adress you concern stevedemo, there is no connection between upload and download parameters. I have my upload speed set at 5kBs max, and my max global upload connections set at 5, and when BT gets going, I can get up to 50-100 kBs download.

In general, my BT speed sucks anyways(thats why I don't use BT unless I have to), but I've learned enough to say pretty confidently that there's no connection between upload parameters and dwnld parameters.

6. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

theres a bt client out called bittornado you can select exactly how much you give away to the nearest kb/s you control it fully

obviously your download is related to your upload but it works very well from what I have read up on it

7. Steveis

Steveis Member

Here's a bit about torrent DLing -

The quote was taken from here -

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/peersharing/a/torrenthandbook_2.htm

Kind of a tutorial for beginners....hope this helps.

Steve