1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bitTorrent vanished off my pc

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by feebee76, Oct 11, 2007.

1. feebee76

feebee76 Member

Hi, can anyone help me please! Had bitTorrent downloading (legal things) on my pc. It asked me did I want to quit and install the newest version. I clicked no because I wasnt sure if i'd lose stuff i was downloading. Next thing my pc turns its self off. I turn it back on and bitTorrent has disappeared completely!Checked everywhere!I went to a site and downloaded the newest version thinking my partially downloaded files might come back but obviously they didnt. Then tried a sytem restore but the pc wouldnt let me do that either! Is there any way off getting my old bitTorrent back?Had about 30 partially downloaded files! Obviouly im new at this so any help appreciated!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You could maybe fix this by just reinstalling the old version. i had a similar problem the other week.. had been using 5.0.7 for ages then (foolishly) upgraded to version 5.0.9 or version 6/6 Beta (can't remember which newer version it was). Either way the newer version was drastically different to the older version, which was fine but all my existing downloads had vanished. Wasted much time trying to get new version to 'see' the old incomplete files to finish downloading but 'twas a waste of effort. A nice surprise though was that i uninstalled the new version, reinstalled the old 5.0.7 version and as if by magic all my downloads were still there and i was able to continue with them..

you may have to google for the install file for the version you upgraded from...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  3. feebee76

feebee76 Member

hi, thanx. I will try that. And yes, the new version ive downloaded is so different and hard to understand! Really prefer the old version! One thing about the new version for some reason im getting really high download speeds! On the old version I averaged 10-30kb and the highest it went on really rare occasions was 100kb. This new version has me permanately over 140 and quite regulary goes well over 200 and sometimes over 300! I dont understnd this! I havent changed my interent connection or anything. Bit weird!

4. creaky

yeah, same for me; i was just too lazy to investigate all the settings, just wanted good old faithful (and simple) 5.0.7 back. will keep using that as long as it keeps working...

5. feebee76

feebee76 Member

Thanx for replying so quickly! Think i will back to the old one. KNow it well

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The BitTorrent 6.0 has the look of uTorrent.

So any information on setting up uTorrent would apply.

Using Options/Speed Guide is an easy way to set it up properly.

7. creaky

ah i see..
    will bear that in mind if ever i move to 6.x