1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre PS2 problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by soralapio, Sep 30, 2004.

1. soralapio

soralapio Member

Last spring my PS2 broke down, big surprise there. CD games booted fine but DVDs didn't. The laser was obviously shot so I ordered a new one. After it arrived, we installed it but I still have problems. Here's what's happened so far.

1. When we booted the PS2 all we heard was a grinding / ticking sound. We diagnosed this as the white guiding arm not making proper contact with the snake motor and bended it down a bit. That got rid of the problem and now DVD movies and CD games worked perfectly.

2. Even now DVD games refuse to boot. We've tried backups, originals, several different games. None boot. We get a weird gurgling kind of noise. Around the time when the star field fades into the "Browser / system settings" menu the PS2 makes two loud ticks and then pretty much stops spinning the disc. We've tried adjusting the tiny screw, we've tried adjusting the white cog, we've tried greasing the axles the laser runs on, nothing helps.

I can't even begin to imagine a problem that would cause DVD games to fail when DVD movies and CD games (even backups!) boot perfectly. I'm getting a new PS2 to replace this one but I'd like to get the old one up and running because the new laser + modchip set me back quite a bit.

ANY help would be appreciated.

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

try using better media and DVD-R.

3. soralapio

soralapio Member

Yeah, I'm sure that's not the problem seeing as it's original DVD games that don't boot...

4. cdub998

cdub998 Member

Did you do a laser height adjustment? There should be a white gear in there you can turn to adjust the laser height. That should clear it up. Its in the dvd tray. There is a guide on how to do it somewhere.

5. [iD]EG6

[iD]EG6 Regular member

Open the Laser Cover inside the Ps2, then eject the disc tray. In the back u should see a white gear with a metal tab. Mark the place where the gear and tab meet with a marker, incase u need to switch it back. Then move it 1/8 of a turn. Or 4 clicks and try to boot a DVD.

6. soralapio

soralapio Member

I appreciate the help, but I said in the original message that we tried both adjustments again. DVD movies boot pretty much regardless of the screw or the white cog, but DVD games don't seem to boot no matter what.

Here's something to consider: if a wire from the modchip had come loose somehow (we checked visually but that doesn't mean a connection hasn't been severed) that would mean DVD BACKUPS might not work, but could it also make DVD originals not boot? When booting DVD movies the whole modchip is bypassed and the CD copy protection is routed through a different wire than DVD games, I think. My modchip is a Magic 3.1.

EDIT: Icemonkey, V3 Playstation 2, Magic 3.1 modchip installed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What version of PS2 do you have and does it have a no-swap modchip installed?