1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screen after installing Magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by markk, Feb 7, 2003.

1. markk

markk Member

I just installed a Magic 3.1 (and clip kit) on my V7 system. When I power it up, the fan starts, but the screen stays black, and the eject button doesn't work (no blue light). In another thread, it was suggested that this could be caused by a solder bridge on the "quad-pad" or quad chip. Which connections are these??? Any other suggestions of what went wrong?

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I had the same problem it is the clip most likely (i would bet money)

try re clipping it is probably not on in the propper position

you said that the led dosent come on but do the buttons work? my guess would be make sure that you dont have the ribbon twisted that happened to me but I just left the led lights off because the buttons still worked (i fixed it 2 weeks later by untwisting the ribbon)

3. markk

markk Member

I double checked the clip, and it looks OK. I used the clip tester, and the connections are fine.

The reset and eject buttons seem to work, in that they turn the machine on, and holding the reset button for 5 seconds puts the PS/2 in standby. The red light on the reset button comes on properly, but the blue light just flashes once on power up, and that's it. It doesn't eject the tray, and nothing comes on the screen. The ribbon going to the buttons seems to be fine.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

the light thing is the same thing that happend to mine it might be some damage to the ribbon

try to play with the clip some more and if you are a confedent solderer ditch the clip