1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screen After Windows Boot or Resolution Change

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ant2008, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ant2008

ant2008 Member

Hi,

I recently installed Windows 7 on my home PC after swapping my graphics card. I am now running a GTX 480 with the latest drivers installed. However, after the "starting windows" screen or changing the resolution, all I get is a black screen. The quick fix I discovered is to change the input and then change it back and then it all works fine. I still feel, however, that there is a problem with something I did but I cannot figure it out. I did remove the graphics drivers and then it boots fine, but at a very poor resolution.

Thanks for the help,
    Anthony

2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

What monitor?
    It may be unable to do hi-res.
    Boot into safe mode and try a resolution that you monitor can handle.
    Google up your monitor specs to see its limitations.
    Jeff

3. ant2008

ant2008 Member

It's a VIZIO hd tv, 22 inch with VGA input. It handles HDTV just fine and the card recognized the native resolution of 1920x1080, which is what I am currently using. The problem only happens when the computer first boots and with a resolution change, even if I let the timeout take it back to the previous setting. It's not that big of a problem because I found a simple workaround it's just the idea that things arent working right.

Anthony

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Anthony, you didn't post the model number. I was trying to look up the specs but it seems there are a few 22" models.

Maybe a video driver conflict. Make sure you uninstalled all the old drivers and double check all of the registry entries are gone if you can.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Jeff

5. ant2008

ant2008 Member

The model number is vo22lfhdtv10a. It worked perfectly fine with my old setup. However, I seriously doubt there is an old driver because this is a new install.

Anthony