1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black screen with Magic 3.1 and PS2 v7

Discussion in 'PS2' started by croiseti, Sep 15, 2003.

1. croiseti

croiseti Member

I installed a Magic 3.1 in my PS2 v7, not my first one, but this one sucks! I checked ALL the solder points, no short, everything OK. When I power up the unit, I only get black screen. The CD unit seems to work (at least it spins!).

Any idea?

2. Edmundo22

Edmundo22 Guest

theres a thread in here about checking ur own installation cant remember exactly which 1 tho :p

make sure ur using a good magnifying glass to inspect the solder points, also shud have a mulitmeter to ensure all the pooints are reading the correct value..also heard a common problem is too much solder.. if cover theese poiints u shud be rite..otherwise the chip is prolly faulty..

also try disconnecting the chip and make sure ur ps2 werks fine..
    then clean all solder with solder braid and start again..if that dont werk that chip is prolly a dud

ive heard someone with ps2v7 and magic 3.1 and there setup werx fine

dont rush it even tho ur dying to get it werking =)

3. MagicPS2

MagicPS2 Guest

Disconnect the power to the chip and leave everything else soldered then see if it works. If not, you got a bridge.

4. croiseti

croiseti Member

I removed and cleaned everything, still have no sound and display... sounds bad, isn't it?

Any other idea? (other than Walmart swap!)

5. MagicPS2

MagicPS2 Guest

Sounds like you burned a via perhaps, only suggestion is to reclean and cross your fingers.

6. croiseti

croiseti Member

Thanks MagicPS2, but what is a via?

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

walmart called - they have a new PS2 for you to pick up.

They said to make sure the white seal is still intact and that the top cover gets swapped so that the serial numbers match.

8. MagicPS2

MagicPS2 Guest

Vias are those little circles you solder to. So Walmart checks the serial now? How do you propose swapping PS2s and keeping the seal closed?

9. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

it has recently been posted that with a little skill with a razor blade, security seals can be removed undamaged.

10. MagicPS2

MagicPS2 Guest

Mind posting link?

11. croiseti

croiseti Member

If anyone is looking for those seals, just let me know, I kept a few of them!