1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank disc types

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Walker1, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Guest

Hi, I have a Sony DRU-510A burner. I was told by Sony that certain blanks can be used with their machine. I can't find anything "in stone" on their web site. Does anyone else have this burner, and know what discs are not useable? I would appreciate all feedback. Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It doesnt like cheapo discs. Lots of users have it on afterdawn.

3. Walker1

Walker1 Guest

I understand. How do the brands Verbatim and Fuji sound? I made a copy using a +RW Verbatim tonight. It was superb. My next task is to try thr Fuji -R. What are you using? Thanks.

4. ger

ger Member

I have a Sony DRU500A. This is picky about the type of DVD+/-Rs it will burn. Best bet is to look at the dye manufacturer and not the brand name. I have had good results with the following dyes: PRODISC, RITEK, RICOH, TDK & PHILIPS. It did not like PRINCO disks at all.

5. Walker1

Walker1 Guest

I talked to Sony today. There'e a list of all the blanks that Sony has tested. So far I used a Memorex -RW and a Verbatim +RW with perfect results. I tried to use a Fuji -R blank and the burner did nothing. I'm using a Sony -R blank next. I don't see any other problems. I paid $26.50 for 10 Verbatim +RW's at Sam's club. Is that a good price? I'm new at this. I also have the Sony DVD recorder- Model #RDR-GX7 and it's not fussy. I use the Fuji -R's in it with no problem. I try to refrain from using any RW blanks as I can keep re-writing them for TV shows etc.