1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank DvD brands and +R vs -R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Dav3, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Dav3

Dav3 Member

First of all ive burnt a fair amount and whatnot. Ive used these memorex -Rs, they work fine never a messup only disapointments on downloads. Now I want to get a bulk pack (200 or more) I want good quality and the best format. Ive readup on -R and +R and I see people have said no differance in them only what hardware (players) can read..so what im asking is input of the best makers of DVDS and the actual and total differance between +R and -R, also dvd cases, or jewl cases. all info on makin and storing a dvd copy....thanks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Taiyo Yuden is unequivocally the best dvd manufacturer there is. Better quality disks do not exist.

Regarding format. Unless you are holding on to dvd players that are 2+ years old, format makes absolutely NO difference.

3. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

I totally agree with Balaam, the Taiyo Yuden are the best there is, have tried a lot of different media and had mixed results, started using Taiyo Yuden and have not made 1 coaster compared to other media, they cost a little more but then you get what you pay for

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I use an Asus DRW-1604P Burner.
    Asus has recommended for this burner the media below:

Make, Model, Max Speed, Rated Speed & Type

Sony SONY08D1 16X 8X-R
    Maxell MXL RG03 16X 8X-R

That's YUDEN000 16x 8X+R
    CMC CMC MAG 16X 8X+R

The Sony media on sale at CompUSA was 19.99 for a "50" cake. It burns are 16x for me and no coasters.

I would suggest you also visit the website of your burner and find their recommended media. It wouldn't hurt.

5. ricoman

ricoman Member

Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Maxell, Ricohjpn, Sony. Can't really go wrong. +R's are a newer (relatively) technology and may not play on some older player (3 yrs. old).

6. Dav3

Dav3 Member

ok thanks all for your replys, now ive found this site..
    http://www.supermediastore.com
    im asuming its in american prices...hoping its not but i bet it is lol :( are there any other good places?

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

meritline.com...has good prices to and dont get to hung up on the DVD dash R..or .the ..DVD plus R either will work depending on your burner and player. I use DASH R.

8. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

memorex is junk. if you want to waste your cash, go ahead and spend all on memorex. Ritek go4 is the way to go. Taiyo Yunden may b greater than Ritek go4, but Ritek go4 back up dvd movies play on most of dvd players, and ritek go4 back up games play just like th eoriginal. I find no reason to try the expensive Taiyo Yunden. But it is always a great adventure to try new thing.

9. Dav3

Dav3 Member

So, Taiyo Yuden would easily be said to be the best, and memorex, not so, more or less at the bottom, could any one name the other if there are ones to be chosen? perhaps that have warrenty? because a while back there was (at my local Future Shop) 200 BenQ dvds for 60$ canadian, roughly 49 american, benq dvds come with a life time warrenty, could i go wrong? so what are the Good ones?(brands)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  10. ricoman

ricoman Member

See my post about 5 posts ago for brands. For purchase try rima.com, meritline.com or, sometimes, bestbuy.com will have a good sale. They will, however, be American pricing.

11. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

meritline has horrible shipper which is fedex. If you live in a house, that wont b a problem. But if you live in an apartment, Fedex will simply leave your package right at the front door (then some1 will steal it). No tlike UPS, they always give the package to the office of the apartment.
    And as far as I know, all dvd media have warranty. You can also try Maxell DVD-r which is more expensive than Ritek but less than Taiyo Yunden. And u can get them at Bestbuy or like Office Depot too.

12. kenkell

kenkell Member

I have burned nearly 300 TDK 8x DVD+R discs without a flaw on my burner. Have'nt had a bad one yet. They seem to play in just about everyones dvd players too whom I give copies too! Best Buy has good sales on them regularly and haven't ever thought of using anything else.

13. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i bought 200 Taiyo Yuden disks from bigpockets.co.uk just b4 xmas... the 1st 100 went fine - not a single coaster etc and no problems with playback...

however, since new year i have cracked into the second hundred and the last few have been really 'flakey' with playback errors and my m8s burner wont even handle 1/2 of them

the lead says the right code for TY disks but the colour of the dye is really light (i usually can tell the disk quality by the darkness of the dye)

is this just a bad spindle or what?

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sounds like it is but thats very rare for TY to be bad i would call the place you got them from to get them exchanged or a refund.

15. meatsack

meatsack Member

I have used both +R and -R and haven't noticed any difference except in price. +R's usually are more costly. I bought a 100 "cake" pack of Legacy 4x DVD-R's from newegg.com for the low cost of only $31.00 (including shipping) and have experienced no problem with them at all. I use DVDx Copy to make backups and with my 4x discs it takes about 45min. to an hour to compress and backup a movie. Hope this helps out some.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005